Dave Good 9 p.m., July 30
Mexicali on Alert Following San Luis Police Chief Murder
The city of Mexicali has put 100 extra police officers on patrol, following the murder of the police chief of San Luis Rio Colorado. The officers have been spread out on the outskirts of town, to search for the shooters as well as protect from more possible incidents.
Luis Freddy Rodriguez Soqui was the head of municipal police in San Luis for two years. He was gunned down while leaving his home Saturday evening, May 19th. Rodriguez Soqui was shot over 17 times with a high powered rifle. It is suspected that there were three shooters traveling in a Dodge Durango.
Rodriguez Soqui, a former federal prosecutor, faced accusations while police chief of San Luis. Accusations include family members taking money from criminal organizations, and then receiving death threats for not following through with deals.
San Luis Rio Colorado is an hour's drive southeast of Mexicali. It has been known as a relatively safe border city, with over 150,000 citizens.
More like this:
- Mexicali celebrating 110 years as a city — March 14, 2013
- New narco-tunnel discovered in Mexicali — Jan. 5, 2013
- Banners and burned vehicles threaten Baja state officials — Oct. 10, 2012
- Over 2 Tons of Marijuana Seized Headed for Tijuana — June 6, 2012
- 21 Arrested with Narcotics in Mexicali — March 4, 2012