Ken Harrison 11:30 a.m., Nov. 25
New and Improved Jack In The Box For North Park Moving Forward
A proposal to build a new Jack in the Box restaurant on the corner of Upas and 30th Avenue in North Park is moving forward in the permitting process. Yesterday, the City's Development Services Department released the draft negative declaration for the project, basically the last step before heading to the Planning Commission.
The proposal consists of tearing down the existing restaurant, built in 1961, and building an even bigger one with less parking while eliminating a sidewalk.
For nearly two years residents living near the restaurant have voiced concerns about the proposal. The issues, which I wrote about those issues in a February 1 article, include noise, traffic, and litter. But the biggest complaint from neighbors is that current zoning for that area prohibits drive-through operations.
On the other hand, company representatives feel the project will enhance the area. “The proposed design will significantly improve the area," said spokesperson Brian Luscombe in a statement last February. "There will be more landscape, and [it] will be more pedestrian friendly. Our options are, continuing to operate the restaurant in its current condition for many more years or enhance the entire property with a new restaurant.”
The City seems to agree, giving their support for the project as long as noise from the drive-through is mitigated. And although the project has received the green light from the City, residents say they will not give up the fight.
"The company pretty much has dug its heels in and refuses to budge," says one nearby resident. "The next step is the planning commission and that's where we will come out and fight even harder against this project."
Go here to view the negative declaration
More like this:
- City Attorney and Lawyers from Jack in the Box say Mayor Filner's objections to North Park restaurant rebuild a ploy to divert attention from harassment scandal — Aug. 15, 2013
- Lawsuit filed against City of San Diego for allowing fast-food chain Jack in the Box to remodel North Park restaurant — Aug. 12, 2013
- Jack in the Box hires lobbying firm for help with rebuild of North Park restaurant — July 20, 2013
- Planning Commission Denies Jack in the Box’s North Park Project — Aug. 25, 2012
- Let’s Build an Even Bigger Jack in the Box in North Park — Feb. 1, 2012