9 p.m., Feb. 22
Local Company Touts "Weight Loss Gummies"
A local company has begun marketing a snack food it describes as “the world’s first family friendly weight loss gummies.”
Gummy Owls are marketed by Green Forest Nutrition, makers of a blood-sugar stabilizer called Glucocil. Right now the product is only sold through the company’s website, though company founder Lee Zhong told the San Diego Business Journal that he hopes to see them sold at GNC stores in the near future.
Green Forest says that Gummy Owls are made from a “yam super fiber” called konjac mannan, are sweetly flavored and “clinically proven to safely reduce body weight and fat in adults and children (ages 12 and up).” The company boasts that konjac mannan is the “only dietary fiber approved for weight loss by the European Food Safety Authority, an agency of the European Union.” Eating at least nine of the gummies a day while following what the promoters describe as a “Eat Right, Be Active, Have Fun lifestyle” is claimed to result in weight loss of a pound per week.
More like this:
- Juice cleanses to feel lighter and tighter — May 13, 2015
- Not gummy worms or gummy sharks or gummy frogs or gummy penguins... — Oct. 8, 2014
- Fat Claims, Fat Chance — Feb. 22, 2012
- Barn Owl Boxes — Jan. 2, 2008
- Better Boys and Early Girls and Yellow Taxis — July 8, 1993