Matt Potter 7 p.m., May 4
Homes of Former Southwestern Trustees Searched
The homes of two former Southwestern College trustees, Yolanda Salcido and Jorge Dominguez, were searched early March 20 by agents of the district attorney's office. Salcido and Dominguez were voted off the board in November 2010.
In 2008 Southwestern passed a $389 million bond proposition. In 2006 Sweetwater Union High School District passed a $644 million proposition. Today's searches are part of an ongoing effort by the district attorney's office into what has been dubbed the pay-to-play culture in both districts.
Former college board president, Yolanda Salcido, dated former director of business operations and facilities, John Wilson. Wilson's home was searched in December.
In 2008, the Union Tribune reported that in spite of the relationship between Wilson and Salcido, she "continued to vote on raises for Wilson, and on the extensive building projects he oversees."
Jorge Domiguez, a former candidate for mayor of Chula Vista, is one of the many Sweetwater-Southwestern crossovers. Dominguez was employed by Sweetwater while serving as a Southwestern trustee.
A reverse crossover, linked to the investigation, is Greg Sandoval, who served as a board member to Sweetwater while serving as an adminstrator at Southwestern. Sandoval was indicted in January in relation to the pay-to-play allegations.
Pictured: Dominguez and Salcido
More like this:
- Former South Bay schools officials have day in court — Dec. 7, 2013
- New Southwestern Affidavits Released — March 30, 2012
- Results of Southwestern College Investigation — March 20, 2012
- Secret Coziness Between Seville Construction Services and Southwestern College Revealed — Dec. 29, 2011
- The Heat Rises for Sweetwater Union High School District Trustees and Associates — Dec. 23, 2011