Dave Rice 5:03 p.m., Aug. 1
Animal Activist Group Looks to Stop Turkey Hunt at Santa Ysabel Preserve
Wild turkeys in Santa Ysabel Open Space Preserve are hoping for a last minute reprieve, before 20 youths and their chaperones arrive on March 23 and 24 with shotguns looking to hunt them down.
According to the Los Angeles Times, The Animal Protection and Rescue League hope a Superior court judge will stop the hunt for not having filed the necessary environmental documents.
County Supervisors approved the hunt in late January by a 3-to-2 vote. According to Supervisors Bill Horn, Dianne Jacob, and Greg Cox, the hunt is a "positive way for young people to practice a legal hobby under the mentorship of experienced adults."
Pam Slater-Price and Ron Roberts disagreed, saying the open space reserve wasn't set aside to become a hunting ground.
The group, led by attorney Bryan Pease, who also happens to be running for city council in District 1, will submit the formal request tomorrow.
More like this:
- Santa Ysabel Nature Preserve — East — July 11, 2012
- Animal Rights Group Unable to Suspend Turkey Hunt — March 20, 2012
- No Turkey Hunt at William Heise Regional Park in Julian — Feb. 9, 2011
- Big skies and springtime zephyrs await you at the new Santa Ysabel Open Space Preserve near Julian. — May 17, 2007
- They See You, Have You Seen Them? — Sept. 28, 2006