Don Bauder 4:30 p.m., Dec. 9
Jason Russell, the 33 year-old co-founder of Invisible Children, makers of the viral video condemning warlord Joseph Kony, was arrested yesterday on charges of public drunkenness in Pacific Beach.
Russell was allegedly partially undressed and masturbating when officers arrived on the scene near the intersection of Ingraham and Riviera Road. Several witnesses reported a man "acting belligerent in various states of undress that was running through traffic and screaming incoherently," according to SanDiego.com
Russell is reportedly being held on a 5150 psychiatric hold, and San Diego Police have announced no plans to press charges related to the incident.
An official statement from Invisible Children CEO Ben Keesey on the incident reads:
"Jason Russell was unfortunately hospitalized yesterday suffering from exhaustion, dehydration, and malnutrition. He is now receiving medical care and is focused on getting better. The past two weeks have taken a severe emotional toll on all of us, Jason especially, and that toll manifested itself in an unfortunate incident yesterday. Jason’s passion and his work have done so much to help so many, and we are devastated to see him dealing with this personal health issue. We will always love and support Jason, and we ask that you give his entire family privacy during this difficult time."
Pictured: Joseph Kony
More like this:
- Fourteen arrested on outstanding warrants — Oct. 7, 2013
- Graffiti in North Park by Invisible Children Supporters? — May 17, 2012
- "Invisible Children" May Have Spied For Ugandan Government — April 10, 2012
- Invisible Children Founder Attempts to Make Invisible Children with Invisible Woman — March 16, 2012
- SDPD: Conduct Unsporting? — Sept. 8, 2011