Jeff Smith noon, March 8
DeMaio Scores Official Republican Party Endorsement
San Diego City Councilman and mayoral hopeful Carl DeMaio obtained an official endorsement from the Republican Party of San Diego County on Saturday, beating out fellow Republican candidates Nathan Fletcher and Bonnie Dumanis at an endorsement meeting earlier today.
Endorsement required a two-thirds majority vote from endorsement committee members, a hurdle DeMaio cleared in the first round of voting.
"I appreciate the endorsement of the Republican Party and look forward to earning the support of Democrats and Independent voters who understand the fundamental need for reform at City Hall," DeMaio said in a party release this afternoon.
"This vote was a reflection of growing grassroots enthusiasm for DeMaio, and enables us to advance our message of fiscal reform in a unified manner," added party chair Tony Krvaric.
DeMaio will now receive aid from the party in the form of volunteer efforts and financial assistance for his campaign.
More like this:
- DeMaio out with official Log Cabin endorsement — July 15, 2013
- DeMaio Challenges Filner to Pension Debate — April 6, 2012
- DeMaio, Filner Remain Mayoral Front Runners — March 13, 2012
- DeMaio, Filner Are Likely Runoff Candidates in Mayoral Race — Feb. 8, 2012
- DeMaio Critics Bash Recent Endorsements, Refusal to Debate — Oct. 25, 2011