Mike Madriaga 9:30 a.m., Nov. 23
Unemployment Rate Rises in County
San Diego County's unemployment rate was 9.3% in January, up from a revised 9% in December.
The county lost 22,500 non-farm jobs between December and January, but 4800 of those lost jobs were in retailing, reflecting an end to the Christmas shopping season. But 3100 construction and 2900 leisure and hospitality jobs were lost in the month.
Over 12 months, the county gained 11,400 non-farm jobs, with leisure and hospitality gaining 4900 jobs.
More like this:
- December unemployment drops — Jan. 18, 2013
- Local Unemployment Rate Up, but Jobs Rise — April 15, 2011
- San Diego Gains Jobs, but Unemployment Rate Still above 10% — Jan. 21, 2011
- SD Gains Jobs in February; Unemployment Rate Drops — March 26, 2010
- San Diego Unemployment Rate Leaps to 11% — March 10, 2010