• News Ticker alerts

San Diego County's unemployment rate was 9.3% in January, up from a revised 9% in December.

The county lost 22,500 non-farm jobs between December and January, but 4800 of those lost jobs were in retailing, reflecting an end to the Christmas shopping season. But 3100 construction and 2900 leisure and hospitality jobs were lost in the month.

Over 12 months, the county gained 11,400 non-farm jobs, with leisure and hospitality gaining 4900 jobs.

• News Ticker alerts

Comments

SurfPuppy619 March 9, 2012 @ 6:30 p.m.

CA state U-6 UE rate is 22%.... has been for close to 3 years.

Don Bauder March 9, 2012 @ 6:41 p.m.

The popular unemployment figure is misleadingly pleasant, even in the worst of times. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder March 9, 2012 @ 9:08 p.m.

I'm not sure what you are missing, Twister, but there are a lot of national statistics that are quite telling: youth unemployment, African-American unemployment, people out of work, not looking for jobs, having a part-time job but wanting a full-time job, etc. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 March 11, 2012 @ 8:36 a.m.

The 16-24 y/o black UE in Detroit was 50% a while back......it is in the 30%+ range here I bet statewide.

Don Bauder March 11, 2012 @ 8:43 a.m.

That could be checked online, SP. Best, Don Bauder

mridolf March 10, 2012 @ 6:32 a.m.

I can help, if any of you folks know of any degreed electrical engineers willing to travel all over the US and world on a moment's notice to work, (physical, dirty, sweaty, hands on) with high voltage equipment in Texan coal fired power plants, Chilean copper mines, mountaintop hydro plants in the winter, Arabic shipyards, Arctic drilling operations (in January), ect; for less pay than they would get if they were an office engineer at Qualcomm, then I could even get a signing bonus from my employer (foreign company).

i.e., some jobs go begging.

Don Bauder March 10, 2012 @ 7:41 a.m.

Do such jobs go to H-1Bs? I honestly don't know. I've never heard of it. Best, Don Bauder

mridolf March 11, 2012 @ 5:45 a.m.

Well, I know three of my co-workers are from Cuba, Pakistan, and Venezuela. But to be honest, the Cuban was already here, as I believe the Pakistani, and the Venezuelan was an intern for the company through college 9in the US). This is an international firm, headquartered in Switzerland, so we have company movement and re-assignments all over the globe. I don't know if that applies here. I seem to remember in the internal company job postings, for the USA jobs, they request that applicants be eligible to work in the US. So I assume they're not really recruiting H-1B applicants. I have not met any new persons that told me they were brought from another country, anyhow. But then, my HR is not exactly open and accountable to peons like me.

Don Bauder March 11, 2012 @ 8:46 a.m.

I suppose a U.S. subsidiary of a Swiss firm could utilize the H-1B program, but I honestly don't know. Best, Don Bauder