Joseph O'Brien 11:30 a.m., April 1
Rumor: Manchester Buying Orange County Register
A plausible rumor from a good source today (March 4) has hotelier Doug (Papa Doug) Manchester, owner of the Union-Tribune, buying the Orange County Register. Following the bankruptcy of the Register's parent, the newspaper has been shopped around.
At one point, there were rumors that Platinum Equity, from whom Manchester bought the U-T, might be interested in the Register. The editor of the Union-Tribune, a former staffer at the Register, has brought in many people who had been with the Register.
There have been many rumors that Southern California daily papers will combine in some way, either by acquisition under one large umbrella or in informal relationships. I will have more on this when I get it -- including word if it turns out to be a canard.
More like this:
- Media publication says Manchester might sell — April 3, 2014
- Will Koch brothers help Papa Doug buy LA Times or parent Tribune Co.? — March 12, 2013
- Business Journal Says Manchester Has Purchased North County Times — Sept. 10, 2012
- Rumor: Manchester to Buy Register Thursday or Friday — May 23, 2012
- According to Rumors, U-T Has Been Sold. But Nobody Knows to Whom, and It May Be a Canard — Oct. 23, 2008