Ian Anderson 7 p.m., May 1
Another Gandara Makes the News
Willie Gandara Jr. joined his uncle former Sweetwater Union High School superintendent Jesus Gandara in the ranks of ex-public servants March 1. Willie Gandara Jr. had been an El Paso commissioner and a candidate for the Texas legislature.
On February 22 Willie Gandara, Jr. was charged with drug trafficking. According to the El Paso Times, "A federal grand jury on last Wednesday issued an indictment alleging Gandara was also known as "Godfather" and had conspired with others since November 2010 to distribute more than 110 pounds of marijuana from a property in Socorro."
Gandara Jr. pleaded not guilty and was released on $50,000 bail on March 1. He also resigned as commissioner. A statement, written by his attorney Joe Spenser, concluded, "By taking this action, he [Gandara] hopes that he will have hastened the start of the process of healing which is so desperately needed in this community."
Former Sweetwater superintendent, Jesus Gandara, was offered a buyout package he couldn't refuse last June. His tenure was marked by a series of scandals which culminated in multiple felony and misdemeanor charges for him.
Pictured: Gandara Jr.
More like this:
- Willie Gandara, Jr. sentenced to 6 1/2 years — Nov. 15, 2012
- Nephew To Former Sweetwater Superintendent Pleads Guilty — Aug. 17, 2012
- Court Dates Approach for Gandara Family Members — July 6, 2012
- It's a Small World After All...Another Gandara, the Same GCR — July 3, 2012
- A Shocking View into Former Sweetwater Superintendent Jesus Gandara's Past — Feb. 6, 2012