Ian Anderson 3 p.m., April 23
“I find that, frankly, kind of insulting,” Judge Maino said.
This stopped the attorney who was suggesting that the judge had already made up his mind, before the end of the hearing today.
A San Diego Superior Court judge heard arguments this morning on whether to release sealed search warrants connected to a high-profile murder case, for which news media have filed motions trying to gain access.
Louis Ray Perez, 45, and Jessica Lynn Lopez, 25, and Dorothy GraceMarie Maraglino, 37, have all pleaded not guilty to the murder of Brittany Dawn Killgore, 22. The body of Killgore was found three days after she went missing, after law enforcement reported she was last seen in the company of Louis Ray Perez on April 13 2012. The case has special notoriety because Killgore was the wife of a Marine who was deployed overseas, and suspect Louis Perez was an active duty Marine living in San Diego County at the time of the alleged murder.
Prosecutor Patrick Espinoza told the judge it would be “premature and ill-advised” for the court to allow access to the search warrants, and said the court “should take a protective role” against “intrusive media.”
The media’s attorney, Guylyn Cummins, stated that the public wants to know, and media outlets desire to “report accurately, what goes on in law enforcement.”
Judge Maino ruled that he would “redact” or hide certain information, such as witnesses’ names, inside three particular documents, and then he would make those three, redacted documents available to news outlets at the end of next week. Judge Maino said the information in those three documents was basically the same information that was spread out over 20 different warrants which he inspected.
Unless a successful appeal is filed by the DA’s office or the three defense attorneys representing the defendants in the murder case, the documents are expected to be released by 5 p.m. Thursday July 5, according to statements in court today.
More like this:
- New evidence in Brittany Killgore murder case — April 7, 2013
- Court Battle for Public Documents Engaged Again — July 16, 2012
- More Tries To Keep Papers Hidden — July 13, 2012
- Local News Media Battle DA in Court For Public Access — June 21, 2012
- Prosecutor Wants to Know Who Wrote the Note — May 29, 2012