Matt Potter 4:30 p.m., April 28
Manchester Fails to Corral O.C. Register
Wellesley, Massachusetts businessman Aaron Kushner and a group of investors have purchased the Orange County Register and six other papers from Freedom Communications, according to the Boston Globe and the Los Angeles Times. "Papa Doug" Manchester, owner of the UT San Diego, had earlier said he was interested in buying the Register. Newspaper veterans believed there might be a combination of the UT and the Register that would ultimately include other Southern California papers.
Kushner was joined by the 2100 Trust, a group including former newspaper executives. The price was undisclosed. The California papers purchased in the deal were Barstow's Desert Dispatch, the Appeal-Democrat in Marysville, the Daily Press in Victorville, and the Porterville Record in Porterville. Also, the group bought the Gazette in Colorado Springs and the Yuma Sun of Yuma, Arizona.
More like this:
- Orange County Register laying off newsroom employees — Jan. 16, 2014
- LA Times for sale — Dec. 11, 2012
- Register Staffers Didn't Want Manchester, Says L.A. Times — June 12, 2012
- Rumor: Manchester to Buy Register Thursday or Friday — May 23, 2012
- UT, Orange County Register Will Join Forces, Says Lynch — May 9, 2012