Ken Leighton 9 a.m., March 24
El Mono Arrested in the Zona Norte
Another high ranking Arellano-Félix Organization member was arrested this week in Tijuana by federal authorities. Luis Manuel “El Mono” Toscano Rodríguez was arrested on Tuesday, June 3rd, however authorities only recently confirmed the arrest on Saturday.
El Mono was apprehended in the Zona Norte, the red light district, with 38 grams of cocaine. The suspect also had a high power rifle, a handgun, and $20,000. Several other alleged criminals were arrested during a sweep in the same area.
El Mono was allegedly arrested only a few hours after his direct supervisor, Julio César “El M-4” Salas Quiñones, was arrested. M-4 was apprehended during a raid at a home in Tijuana. Allegations are that M-4 gave up information which led to the arrest of El Mono. The official reason that led to the arrest was a citizen complaint on a man with a weapon.
El Mono is alleged to be in charge of retail drug sales in the Zona Norte. He is believed to be a long time member of the Arellano-Félix Organization, and an important Tijuana figure in the cartel.
Mexican police authorities have been asked to properly identify ranking cartel members before declaring their arrest. A mistake, in which authorities wrongfully declared they arrested El Chapo’s (The leader of the Sinaloa Cartel) son, was highly embarrassing for the country.
More like this:
- DEA official claims Arellano Félix Organization dead, despite current activity in Tijuana — May 29, 2013
- DEA releases poster of most wanted drug traffickers in San Diego-Tijuana area — May 4, 2013
- Top cartel operative apprehended in Tijuana — March 15, 2013
- Alleged daughter of El Chapo arrested at San Ysidro — Oct. 16, 2012
- Despite news reports, Eduardo not the last remaining Arellano Félix brother — Sept. 1, 2012