Matt Potter 5:30 p.m., Oct. 12
EDCO Faces $112,000 Fine Over Crushed Worker
The California Division of Occupational Safety and Health is seeking nearly $112,000 in fines and penalties against EDCO Waste and Recycling Services over “alleged willful and accident-related violations” in connection with an incident last December at EDCO’s Lemon Grove facility.
The accident, which occurred on New Year’s Eve 2011, involved the injury of a worker who was standing on a “packer” inside a trash truck being repaired. While installing a hydraulic cylinder that powers the packer, compacting trash inside the truck, the worker fell between the packer and an inside wall of the truck, where he was crushed by the device. Although he survived, the Division says he suffered “severe” injuries.
EDCO was already on “full notice” from the Division for program deficiencies, and a second, similar incident occurred at the same facility in October of 2011. EDCO has appealed citations linked to both incidents.
More like this:
- Dangerous: West Point Loma Blvd. and Ebers St. intersection — April 16, 2013
- Florida Man Shot Outside Rosarito Beach Bakery — Nov. 4, 2010
- Knock It Down, Throw It Out — April 30, 2008
- The Blue Barrel — Dec. 27, 2007
- Barbarella Sweeps the Beats with the Highway Patrol — Feb. 17, 2005