Ken Harrison 1:30 p.m., Aug. 25
Taxi Driver Executed in Rosarito
A taxi driver was executed in Rosarito Monday afternoon by an unidentified gunman. The driver apparently left his car to open the gate at a residence and was approached by the gunman, who then shot him twice in the head.
The victim, reportedly a male in his mid-30s, was pronounced dead at the scene. Police and paramedics arrived shortly after the incident when neighbors reported hearing gunfire.
A vehicle that was left parked in the neighborhood is being linked to the shooter. It is suspected it may have been driven by the gunman and then abandoned near the crime scene. The car is a blue 2003 Nissan with California plates.
Taxi drivers are sometimes used to carry out tasks by criminal organizations in Mexico. Their tasks can vary from being lookouts to carrying out express-kidnappings. Numerous taxi drivers have been murdered in the past year across Mexico, including five killed in Monterrey last week.
More like this:
- She hailed a cab, they hailed the rocks — Oct. 30, 2015
- Boy hitman in Tijuana — Oct. 15, 2015
- Three Rosarito police officers reported for extorting an American tourist — Oct. 22, 2012
- 200 Taxi drivers march in protest in Rosarito — July 24, 2012
- They Hit My Windshield with a Baseball Bat — Jan. 16, 2003