• News Ticker alerts

Mayor Jerry Sanders isn't shying away from his support for Bonnie Dumanis to become San Diego's next mayor, despite a recent poll from KGTV Channel 10 that has the District Attorney in the back of the pack with 14 percent of the vote.

Sanders showed his support in a YouTube video by asking that people give donations to Dumanis's campaign.

In the 20-second bit, Sanders gives the following pitch:

"Hi, I'm Jerry Sanders and I'm standing with Bonnie because she has the experience to move San Diego forward. please consider making a donation today...

Added Sanders: "This election is too important not to take a stand."

• News Ticker alerts

Comments

Gail Powell Feb. 8, 2012 @ 5:34 p.m.

What dirt does the Dirty D.A. have on poor Mayor Saunders that this lame duck politico has to stoop so low and slobber over the most worthless political hack to come down the pike since Rush Limbaugh? But it warms my heart to watch Bonnie flailing around at the back of the pack, as she slowly watches her ambitious dreams of becoming Mayor fading into the sunset. The Good Word has gone out in this town about this bad broad and it would please me to no end for her to pack up her million dollar condo and wife and hightail it back to Beantown, where she belongs.

TerrieBest Feb. 8, 2012 @ 5:43 p.m.

I can't believe Bonnie is still in the race. She's behaved horridly to legitimate medical cannabis patients in San Diego. Vote Filner, a true friend to citizens.

SurfPuppy619 Feb. 8, 2012 @ 6:17 p.m.

So KFC Sanders gave her a thumbs up-how does that help? KFC Sanders (cannot call him that anymore after the lap band surgery) has not exactly set the City on fire with his policy and leadership.

Ponzi Feb. 8, 2012 @ 7:21 p.m.

If Bonnie thinks she sees a light at the end of the tunnel, she does, and it’s a train.

Visduh Feb. 8, 2012 @ 7:46 p.m.

Sanders, when he was just a retired chief of police, made radio spots endorsing Bahnee when she was first running for DA. Actually, when she bested some unknown primary opponents, she was a shoo-in for DA. Pfingst had slit his own throat with the Crowe case and the fact that his own staff was campaigning against him. But after seeing her in action, why has she won three terms, the last unopposed? There is something rotten in Denmark and I don't claim to know what it is. If she fails in this mayor's race she's not going to have any more career in politics. What we all need to do is determine who will replace her as DA. The staff there may be good people, but after twelve years of her reign, can any of them be trusted to prosecute the bad people and leave the good ones alone? The picture doesn't look good.

Ponzi Feb. 8, 2012 @ 8:51 p.m.

One thing that would be nice to learn is why there is so much corruption under her reign. Why one of her charges, a deputy D.A. from Carlsbad committed suicide and blamed it on the D.A.’s office. Why Bonnie wants to be mayor? What does she have to offer but more corruption in city hall? She is a loser, a political hack and a disgrace.

Burwell Feb. 8, 2012 @ 10:54 p.m.

Bonnie probably has enough on Sanders to put him away for 20 years. Sanders is well advised to support Bonnie even if she has no chance of winning. Bonnie could turn on Jerry like a junkyard dog and indict him.

Visduh Feb. 9, 2012 @ 9:43 a.m.

You are probably right. But why he was so eager to support her for DA ten years ago is not so obvious.

Burwell Feb. 8, 2012 @ 10:57 p.m.

Time has proven Bob Filner to be an honest man who works hard for his electorate. He should be the next mayor. He's earned it.

SurfPuppy619 Feb. 8, 2012 @ 11:21 p.m.

When Filner called GHW Bush (Bushie I) out 20 years ago, I forgot why now, it showed Filner had one heck of a backbone.

I will never forget President GHW Bush saying he was going to make Filner his own little personal project! (if someone recalls what that beef was over please post it up)

When you are a Congressman and can get under a sitting Presidents skin like that you have something special going for you!

But I still do not think a Dem can be Mayor of San Diego. If Filner can prove me wrong more power to him, but I doubt it.

SDUnemployed Feb. 9, 2012 @ 1:15 p.m.

I certainly do not like any of the Republican candidates for mayor and as far as I'm concerned, they are all ocean bottomfeeders-they all have baggage-

Bonnie for not prosecuting KFC Sanders in regards to the Kessler case; Nathan for lifting the ceiling on redevelopment in Sacramento; Carl for using city funds for a nonusable/untested smartphone app and for having foot in mouth disease;

I'm looking forward to KFC Sanders ending his term as in my eyes, he has done nothing about solving San Diego's biggest problems, only empty rhetoric. The problems are still there, just not reported.