Jeff Smith noon, March 8
Gang member, sex offender arrested attempting to re-enter country
Both men had previous criminal records, had previously been deported
El Centro area Border Patrol agents are touting the capture of two particularly undesirable foreigners attempting to illegally cross the border east of Calexico on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
Around 4 a.m. on December 24, agents intercepted a citizen of Honduras near the international border. A background check revealed that the unidentified 26 year-old was already registered as a sex offender in the United States and had been convicted of felony kidnapping in 2004 in Hennepin County, Minnesota before his previous expulsion.
The next day around the same time, agents contacted a 23 year-old from El Salvador. Also unnamed, the man was identified as a member of the Mara Salvatrucha 13, or MS-13, criminal gang.
Both individuals will face prosecution for illegal re-entry following a previous removal from the country.
More like this:
- Two truckloads of pot caught headed south toward Mexican border — Oct. 18, 2013
- Eight immigrants receive prison sentences — April 25, 2013
- Border Patrol reports handful of unusual apprehensions — April 3, 2013
- Report Documents Border Patrol Abuses — Sept. 26, 2011
- Border Angels — Dec. 7, 2006