Various Authors 8:01 p.m., July 24
Hikers rescued via helicopter
Pair was ill-equipped for weather, conditions
Santee Sheriff’s deputies were called upon to employ a Search and Rescue team along with a department helicopter over the weekend in the rescue of a pair of hikers who became lost on El Cajon Mountain, which actually sits to the northeast of Lakeside near the El Capitan Reservoir.
The hikers said in an emergency phone call that they were “lost, cold, wet, and unprepared” for Friday afternoon’s rain showers.
A first pass with the helicopter determined on which side of the mountain the pair were located, but weather conditions prevented visual contact. At this point the Search and Rescue team was deployed. Once the rain cleared, the helicopter was able to spot the two in a largely inaccessible ravine, and the hikers were airlifted to safety.
The female, shaking uncontrollably, was transported to Grossmont Hospital due to weather exposure. The male was given a ride to his car.
More like this:
- Lost hiker rescued in Lakeside — March 3, 2014
- Illegal border crosser rescued after 2+ hour search — July 10, 2013
- East County manhunt locates lost hikers — April 29, 2013
- San Diego Sheriff’s ASTREA Helicopter Makes Third Rescue in a Month — Sept. 15, 2010
- Heinous Hike — Feb. 20, 2010