Jeff Smith noon, March 8
Ready or not
Police busts Point Loma medical marijuana dispensary before they are officially open for business
Yesterday afternoon, medical marijuana advocates took to Twitter and Instagram alerting people to a raid on the Greenworks San Diego Medical Marijuana Dispensary located at 3990 Hickok Street in Point Loma.
"RAID IN PROGRESS AT GREENWORKS SD. 3990 Hickok Street, San Diego, CA 92110. This is in POINT LOMA. Stop by with cameras if you can," read a mass email sent from the Patient Care Association at 1:32 pm yesterday.
A few hours before, workers at Greenworks issued there own alert with pictures via Twitter.
"#raid #greenworkssd #gworks #gwfam #dea #feds #mmj #215 #wtf! http://instagr.am/p/TEQ1ZIghKL/"
According to Greenworks SD's website, the dispensary had not officially opened its doors for business but was making deliveries to patients.
"ATTENTION GREENWORKS MEMBERS!!!," reads the dispensary's website. "We will be answering our phone!!! Setting up deliveries only! We are not open."
The raid shows the difficulties for dispensaries and other collectives to operate in the City of San Diego, even before they open for business.
A spokesperson for the Drug Enforcement Agency in San Diego said no arrests were made during the raid and approximately 8-10 pounds of marijuana were confiscated from the site.
"We conducted an inspection because they told us the business was closed and it wasn't. It looked as if there was a recent grow at the site," said the spokesperson.
More like this:
- Council sets date to discuss draft medical marijuana ordinance — April 18, 2013
- District Attorney takes down another medical marijuana dispensary — Oct. 25, 2012
- Cities Across The County To Consider Enacting Medical Marijuana Ordinances — July 24, 2012
- Court Will Not Hear Oral Arguments Over Motion to Dismiss Medical Marijuana Case — March 1, 2012
- Shopping at Weedmart — Nov. 19, 2008