Ian Pike 4 p.m., March 9
Corrupt business as usual?
Filner says Chargers will stay, convention center will be expanded
Incoming Mayor Robert Filner gave his inaugural speech today at the Balboa Club. According to sources who were there, Filner said "We are going to make sure the Chargers stay in San Diego." He also said, "We are going to expand our convention center to strengthen our visitor industry." Is Filner saying the City will subsidize a stadium for the Chargers? He has previously said that public funds would not go for that purpose. He can forget the Chargers or other private interests financing a stadium. It won't happen. The Coastal Commission still has to approve convention center expansion plans. Also, there is a pending lawsuit against the deal. "He [Filner] had previously said that he wanted it [the expansion] voted upon," says civic activist Mel Shapiro, who was at the speech. Shapiro is involved in a lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of hotels increasing taxes for the purpose of financing the expansion. Does Filner know how that lawsuit will turn out?
More like this:
- Chargers hawking combined convention center/roofed stadium — March 8, 2013
- Convention center expansion would build into a glut — Feb. 13, 2013
- Auditor Confirms It: Convention Center Attendance Figures Misleading — Aug. 21, 2012
- Conventions, Football Don’t Mix — Sept. 14, 2011
- The Scandal That Is The Stadium — May 30, 2002