Matthew Suárez 11 a.m., Nov. 28
Inmates killed, injured on freeway cleanup duty
Two inmates of Calipatria State Prison in Imperial Valley were injured, one of them fatally, while working as part of a CalTrans inmate work crew on the eastbound side of Interstate 8 yesterday in the late morning.
Inmate Richard Warrick, 45, was transported to El Centro Regional Medical Center for treatment of moderate injuries and returned to prison. He is serving a three year sentence for burglary, possession of a controlled substance, and receiving stolen property.
The second individual, who has not been identified pending notification of his family, was pronounced dead at the scene at approximately 11:50 a.m.
Calipatria State Prison officials also stated in the news release regarding the death and injury that the institution "provides educational, vocational, re-entry and self-help programs that provide inmates life skills and work skills that can be used in support of their efforts at reintegration into society."
More like this:
- Overnight jail fight at Chula Vista facility, Sheriff says — Feb. 28, 2013
- Prison riot — Dec. 12, 2012
- Prison transfer — Nov. 26, 2012
- Drunk inmates attack guards at El Centro area prison — Oct. 23, 2012
- State Prisons Appear to Fall Short on Overcrowding Reduction Order — Dec. 27, 2011