• News Ticker alerts

On Tuesday night the Chula Vista Elementary School District swore in new trustee Glendora Tremper. According to the Union-Tribune article that first published the news, Tremper currently works as a bilingual language, speech, and hearing specialist for the South Bay Union School District.

Less than two years ago, Tremper was part of a five-member search team that selected Chula Vista Elementary's new superintendent, Francisco Escobedo.

An August 2010 Union-Tribune article reported that Tremper served on the selection committee as a parent representative and was employed at South Bay Union as a student support service coordinator. At the time, Escobedo was assistant superintendent of South Bay.

Four out of the five Chula Vista Elementary board members have now been appointed: Larry Cunningham, David Bejarano, Douglas Luffborough III, and Glendora Tremper.

The process has been the subject of criticism recently as many feel the appointee gains an electoral advantage. A recent editorial in the newspaper La Prensa stated: "For all intents and purposes this whole appointment process feels as though it was predetermined...with the next board member selected by a few instead of by an election. It's like the movie GroundHog Day, where the same thing keeps happening over and over."

• News Ticker alerts

Comments

Magda1ena April 25, 2012 @ 3:46 p.m.

I am a parent of children who attended Chula Vista Elementary School District starting back in 1983. I've worked with Francisco Escobedo as a principal of my children's school. He was adequate to the task (and I'm rather expectant of administrators). I worked with Glendora Tremper later, professionally, when I worked in Student Supportive Services with the county. Glendora was empathetic and easily approached regarding what was needed for students that she had referred for services. Of the other 3 appointees? I've never met any of them as a parent or as a stakeholder in the interests of the school systems.
I find La Prensa's opinion to be pretty valid. It's hard to know what is going on when all you ever get is a few words in a public statement, and don't see any of the people involved unless you show up at a meeting that is not advertised. But consider, this -IS- Chula Vista Elementary School District. It is in the town where you cannot get crime reports on a daily basis as you do in the city of San Diego. This is a town where they can't afford to put on 4th of July fireworks, but they sure have money to light up an empty city hall for Christmas time! Francisco and Glendora I trust, but as for Larry, David and Doug ... I have no idea how they feel about those kids.

Pancho April 25, 2012 @ 7:49 p.m.

The Christmas lights are funded through a grant that goes through the Conservation Department. I know because I asked why they weren't using that money to keep the rec centers, pools and libraries open. I think the times of cities less than 1 mil paying for fireworks should be over. The permitting process and vendor costs are well over $50K and I'd rather see that money go to keeping our rec centers, pools and libraries open. Why doesn't the city find a private donor to pay for them?

joepublic April 25, 2012 @ 4:22 p.m.

This is pretty hard to believe. Seems like a lot of back scratching's been going on in this district. I'm surprised no one has officially questioned it. Maybe with all the attention Sweetwater Union High School District's been getting, the elementary district's been allowed to fly under the radar. Just what we don't need, more political shenanigans in the south bay!

Pancho April 25, 2012 @ 7:51 p.m.

Nice reporting Susan. I think voters may need to get a referendum going on special elections to replace vacant seats because this is ridiculous if you're not in the pre-selected club.

SurfPuppy619 April 25, 2012 @ 9:44 p.m.

The "back scratching" goes on in ALL districts, and basically every part of government. Why do you think Ed Brand got his fat butt canned at San Marcos after just 1 year??? He was tyring to back scratch his buddies into their teacher positions when the Board wanted the best possible candidates.

Susan Luzzaro April 25, 2012 @ 11:01 p.m.

Pancho, Thanks.

Rec Centers and libraries first--sounds like solid funding priorities.

In a slightly different direction, I heard a rumor some months back that the city was exploring privatizing some of the parks and rec services. I'm curious if anyone else heard that???

eastlaker April 27, 2012 @ 9:58 a.m.

Yes, things frequently have the air of being 'a done deal' here in the South Bay. And we really don't get to hear much of the news that takes place down here, whether it is crime-related, traffic and traffic accident-related or community-related.

Which is why I think it would be great if the high schools could develop some pilot programs for neighborhood and area news and news trends. But--sorry, there isn't funding for anything like that, because those in charge have completely mismanaged funding for more years than anyone cares to remember.

Maybe Southwestern Community College could move in that direction? At one time, their school paper was award-winning. What kind of support are they getting?

Not discussing problems does not make them go away.

I am grateful that The Reader gives us this necessary and vital "home" for discussion. Thanks, Susan, for what you are giving us.