Matt Potter 2:30 p.m., Aug. 20
Lifestyles of the Rich and Doug Manchester
Ever since he bought the San Diego Union-Tribune, it seems that the Internet can't get enough of Douglas Manchester, La Jolla-based hotel mogul, Mitt Romney backer, and bigtime GOP donor.
Latest topic of online conversation: a sprawling mansion that Manchester is reported to own just off the Vintage Club golf course in tony Indian Wells, down the road from Palm Springs.
According to VirtualGlobetrotting.com, the publisher bought the 6,000 square foot getaway in 2004 for $4.75 million.
The site says Indian Wells neighbors include Microsoft billionaire Bill Gates, Texas oil heiress Anne Burnett Windfohr, and Bill Gross, billionaire co-founder of Newport Beach-based investment powerhouse PIMCO.
"Tucked into a natural cove at the base of Eisenhower Mountain in Indian Wells, California is the majestic Vintage Club – one of the United States’ most prestigious and ultra-exclusive private country club communities," says the club website.
"Highly regarded as the pinnacle among its peers, The Vintage Club has come to set the standard for which other country club communities aspire to achieve.
"Members of The Vintage Club enjoy unimpeded access to two 18-hole Tom Fazio championship golf courses, a 15,000 square-foot Fitness & Wellness Center, an elaborate Swim Complex, and full-service Golf and Tennis Centers.
"Various venues offer diverse dining options from poolside service to casual indoor and outdoor Grille dining - taking full advantage of those cool desert nights - to an elegant culinary experience in the Club’s main dining room."
More like this:
- Walmart pumps $515,000 through Encinitas-based dark money group — Oct. 16, 2013
- Mayoral battle joined as billionaire Jacobs goes for Fletcher — Sept. 25, 2013
- "Papa Doug Trust" kicks in with $130,000 to Karl Rove's GOP super PAC — Nov. 1, 2012
- Vulture capitalist who flipped San Diego U-T to Doug Manchester is unloading another bauble — Oct. 11, 2012
- City Notice Posted on Front Lawn Reveals Union-Tribune Seeking Condo, Office, and Retail Development Permits — May 4, 2012