Dorian Hargrove 3:30 p.m., April 24
Tea Party Protests Upon Obama's Departure
As President Barack Obama arrives for a brief fund-raising visit before heading off to Los Angeles, a group of local protestors are gearing up to give the Commander in Chief an “Obama-welcoming Tea Party.”
The catch – they’re not convinced that they’ll be able to get near enough to the La Jolla residence where supporters are paying $5,000 apiece to rub elbows with Obama. And parking might be an issue. Timing too, as the President is only in town for a couple hours.
Instead, members of “Stop Obama Now!! – San Diego” will congregate Downtown, in front of the street-level NBC studios. Apparently speaking in reference to the network, the group says “we can protest outside while they laud their messiah’s visit.”
The organizers, expecting two hundred or more to attend, are taking steps to make joining the picket as easy as possible. “You don’t even have to have a sign. I have a couple dozen hand-held generic signs that I can pass out that read ‘Impeach Obama’ or ‘Obama Must Go,’ etc.,” promises the Stop Obama Now!! website.
As of 3 p.m., the Facebook RSVP page counted 106 planning on attending, 101 undecided, and 209 declining to attend the rally. The protest kicks off at 4 p.m., by which time the president is expected to be back on Air Force One and en route to Los Angeles.
More like this:
- Activists incensed over Keystone XL pipeline — Feb. 4, 2014
- “HUSTUSA” protests President Obama in Rancho Santa Fe — Nov. 11, 2013
- Tea Party Hosts Civic Center Press Conference to Condemn Occupy San Diego — Nov. 15, 2011
- Morgan Freeman: Obama Made Racism Worse in America — Sept. 25, 2011
- A Sword for Its Army and a Lily for Its Heart — April 29, 1999