Don Bauder 3:30 p.m., Jan. 25
Beach Closures Lifted
On Wednesday, County health reopened the coastline at Torrey Pines, Bayside Park, Del Mar after the September 8 blackout caused more than 2 million gallons of sewage to seep into waterways across the county.
The blackout shut down sewage pumps in Los Penasquitos Lagoon and in the Sweetwater River.
County officials believe approximately 1.9 million gallons of sewage spilled into the Los Penasquitos Lagoon. The spill resulted in beach closures from Scripps Pier north to Solana Beach.
And in Chula Vista, 120,000 gallons leaked from pumps near the Sweetwater River in Chula Vista, resulting in the closure Bayside Park.
"At this point all beach closures as a result of sewage contamination due to Thursday’s power outage have been lifted," read the County's website.
More like this:
- City to spend $7 million to shore up two sewage pump stations that failed during September 2011 blackout — March 18, 2013
- Tijuana Wastewater Cleaner Than San Diego’s — Aug. 24, 2012
- Sewage Spills Close Area Beaches — Sept. 9, 2011
- Del Murky Mar — Dec. 28, 2010
- Dog Beach Closed Due to Sewage Spill — Dec. 31, 2008