Robert Bush noon, Oct. 23
Harbor Police Arrest Bike Thief
San Diego Harbor Police officers arrested a man accused of leading a bike theft ring along the San Diego Embarcadero. The September 1 arrest comes after months of searching for the suspect accused of ripping off seven bikes worth approximately $10,000 from nearby hotels. One of the bikes, according to Harbor Police Detective Michael Dye, was worth $6,500.
The suspect, Bret Martinson, "was being sought by the Harbor Police Investigations Unit on suspicion of having been involved in other bike thefts at hotels along the Embarcadero," stated Dye.
"Officers had been tracking the case since June and had identified Martinson as a suspect through surveillance images taken at the Manchester Grand Hyatt, as well as information from other detainees."
Martinson was taken into custody after a security guard at the Cabrillo Isle Marina witnessed two men stealing bicycles shortly after midnight on September 1.
More like this:
- Harbor patrol involved in international port security — May 16, 2016
- But how many downtown bicycle thefts? — May 15, 2016
- One oar in the water — May 9, 2016
- Online community helps police in bike theft bust — Aug. 5, 2015
- Harbor Police Discovers Cache of Weapons In Point Loma Home — Nov. 16, 2011