Don Bauder 2:30 p.m., Sept. 1
Harbor Police Arrest Bike Thief
San Diego Harbor Police officers arrested a man accused of leading a bike theft ring along the San Diego Embarcadero. The September 1 arrest comes after months of searching for the suspect accused of ripping off seven bikes worth approximately $10,000 from nearby hotels. One of the bikes, according to Harbor Police Detective Michael Dye, was worth $6,500.
The suspect, Bret Martinson, "was being sought by the Harbor Police Investigations Unit on suspicion of having been involved in other bike thefts at hotels along the Embarcadero," stated Dye.
"Officers had been tracking the case since June and had identified Martinson as a suspect through surveillance images taken at the Manchester Grand Hyatt, as well as information from other detainees."
Martinson was taken into custody after a security guard at the Cabrillo Isle Marina witnessed two men stealing bicycles shortly after midnight on September 1.
More like this:
- Escondido men accused of burglary with baseball bats — Sept. 1, 2013
- Escondido man accused of gang crimes — Jan. 2, 2013
- Greetings from Tijuana — Aug. 6, 2008
- The Sarcastic Killer — Aug. 2, 2007
- Faster Than a Speeding Bike Thief — July 27, 2000