Julie Stalmer 6:30 p.m., July 23
Proposed Paramilitary Training Camp in Ocotillo Faces Foreclosure
Residents of Nomirage, a small desert community 17 miles east of San Diego County, were up in arms over a proposal by Wind Zero to build a 944-acre private paramilitary training facility just feet from their front doors. I wrote about the proposal submitted by a San Diego resident and former Navy Seal, Brandon Webb, in a January 26 article.
According to environmental documents, 57,000 rounds of ammunition would be fired at both indoor and semi-enclosed firing ranges, as well as at mock-up urban environments.
Nearby residents opposed the noise from the guns, the cars, and helicopters.
Well, those residents received some good news in their fight against the project. According to a blog post on Narco News, Webb is now waging a battle of his own, this one to prevent the property from being taken away.
In the article, San Diego attorney Stewart Cowan, who represents the former property owner and current deed holder, confirmed the news. “The note [loan] on the property is in default, and we are going through the foreclosure process,” Cowan told a reporter from Narco News.
Now, residents of Nomirage and environmental activists fighting against the plan worry that another paramilitary firm, such as former Blackwater now Xe Services, will step in and buy the land.
“There have been rumors floating around that Wind Zero has some type of affiliation with Xe, and that it is possible Wind Zero could sell it’s interest in the project,” Larry Silver of the California Environmental Law Project (the group representing the Sierra Club and Desert Protective Council) told Narco News.
More like this:
- Lawsuit filed over paramilitary training facility in Alpine — Jan. 13, 2016
- Agency With Ties To Blackwater Running Training Facility In Otay Mesa After Another Name Change — June 26, 2012
- Private Military Facility Plan Dies in the Desert — May 8, 2012
- Suit Filed to Halt Wind Zero's Proposed Military Training Facility Near Ocotillo — Jan. 26, 2011
- Blackwater to be Sold as Similar Firm Fights Opposition in Ocotillo — Dec. 17, 2010