5 a.m., April 16
San Dieguito River Conservancy Will Not Rename Trail After Jerry Schad
Shortly after hiker and author Jerry Schad passed away from cancer, Robert Parkinson started a petition to rename San Diego County's 55-mile Coast to Crest Trail in honor of Schad. That effort has been stopped in its tracks.
"Rand Newman, President of The San Dieguito River Valley Conservancy wrote that no one without any meaningful connection to the Conservancy or Coast-to-Crest Trail would be considered to have their name on that trail’s title, if ever anyone," writes Parkinson in an October 13 email.
"[I] withdrew my pursuit, despite a massive amount local support, including support extending way out to the far flung corners of this nation," adds Parkinson.
To date, 1,255 supporters from across the country have signed the petition, which Parkinson has decided to keep online.
In September the City honored Schad by naming Trail 43 in Balboa Park "The Jerry Schad Memorial Trail."
More like this:
- Coast to Crest Trail, Del Mar — Sept. 11, 2013
- Jerry Schad Memorial Trail — Sept. 26, 2012
- The Jerry Schad Trail — Oct. 3, 2011
- San Dieguito Lagoon Trail — Sept. 1, 2010
- Follow a segment of the Coast to Crest Trail along the north shore of Lake Hodges. — May 31, 2001