Tamar Fleishman 8:26 p.m., Nov. 27
Men's Health Names San Diego the Luckiest Town in America
Men's Health magazine has dubbed San Diego "America's luckiest town" in a recent list.
The article factored in the number of lottery winners (Powerball, Mega Millions), the most hole-in-ones according to the PGA, as well as the number of lightning strikes, fatalities from random falling objects, and gambling losses.
"Luck is basically our modern world's magic," said David Zinczenko, the magazine's editor-in-chief. "People need to believe in luck because it allows them to give a name to the randomness of life, and when you name something, you have more power over it."
"San Diego's multiple jackpot winners, its low lightning strike count, and its low number of lightning-related injuries and deaths helped push it to the top."
Other cities in the top five of luckiest towns were Baltimore, Phoenix, Wilmington, Delaware and Richmond. The most "unlucky" cities included Billings, MT; Sioux Falls, SD; Memphis, TN; Jackson, MS; Tampa, FL; Charleston, WV.
More like this:
- Getting to know your hometown — Oct. 2, 2012
- The Day Bob Dylan Called Me, plus My Best, Worst, and Fave Celeb Interviews Ever — May 30, 2008
- Blues VS Blues, 50 Historic Local Concerts, War Stories, Boy Shakira & more — March 7, 2008
- Mob Scene — Nov. 18, 1999
- An Even Break — April 25, 1985