Walter Mencken 2:37 p.m., March 1
Walk, Ride & Roll to School Challenge Kicks Off
Today kicks off the month-long Walk, Ride & Roll to School Challenge at dozens of participating schools around San Diego County. October 5 is also International Walk to School Day.
Sponsored by the San Diego Association of Governments and the county’s Health and Human Services Agency, the Challenge asks parents from participating schools to register at www.iCommuteSD.com. From there they can log the number of trips to and from school by foot or by bike, with schools receiving points from the program for each car trip avoided. At the end of the month cash prizes of up to $1,000 will be awarded to top performing schools.
Parents who register via the iCommute website can also request a free bicycle helmet and backpack with reflective material for their children participating in the program.
More like this:
- Visit to El Faro orphanage, Tijuana — May 6, 2014
- Theo Tucker bikes, swims, and runs to find his sporting identity again — Jan. 22, 2014
- 13th Annual Sharon’s Ride.Run.Walk for Epilepsy at DeAnza Cove — April 6, 2012
- Horses and Their Women — March 7, 2002
- Hard Freedom — Nov. 21, 2001