9 p.m., Feb. 22
The Jerry Schad Trail
"Who else has had more of an impact in guiding hikers to the magnificent trails this area has to offer, or the value of preserving our remaining undeveloped open space than Jerry Schad?" Asks a petition aimed at renaming the 55-mile Coast to Crest Trail in San Diego County to The Jerry Schad Trail.
Currently under construction, the 55-mile long multi-use trail system will stretch from the Crest Canyon Trail in Del Mar to the San Dieguito River's source on Volcan Mountain, north of Julian.
"I've had the pleasure of hiking many trails I never would known existed if not for his Afoot & Afield books and numerous Roam-O-Rama articles in the San Diego Reader," reads the message from Parkinson.
More than 1,150 people have signed the petition, which was created by Robert Parkinson. 2,000 signatures are needed to submit the petition to the San Dieguito River Valley Conservancy and San Dieguito River Park.
I am waiting to hear back from the San Dieguito River Park, the agency responsible for forming a natural open space park in the San Dieguito River Valley, for the next steps in renaming the trail.
More like this:
- San Dieguito River Conservancy Will Not Rename Trail After Jerry Schad — Oct. 14, 2011
- Crest Canyon Open Space — July 15, 2009
- Explore the easy-going Highland Valley Trail at upper Lake Hodges near Escondido. — Dec. 11, 2003
- Coast to Crest trail leaps closer to reality — Nov. 7, 2002
- Follow a segment of the Coast to Crest Trail along the north shore of Lake Hodges. — May 31, 2001