Vincent Farnsworth 2:38 p.m., Sept. 26
Filner Demands Ethics Investigation of Supreme Court's Clarence Thomas
Congressman Bob Filner, currently engaged in a campaign for San Diego mayor, has joined 19 of his fellow House Democrats, led by House Rules Committee ranking member Rep. Louise Slaughter of New York, in calling for an investigation of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas on the grounds he failed to report hundreds of thousands of dollars on his financial disclosure reports.
"Throughout his entire tenure on the Supreme Court, Justice Thomas checked a box titled 'none' on his annual financial disclosure forms, indicating that his wife had recieved no income, despite the fact that his wife had in fact earned nearly $700,000 from the Heritage Foundation from 2003-2007 alone," says a September 29 letter from Filner and his colleagues to James C. Duff, secretary to the Judicial Conference of the United States, Administrative Office of the United States Courts.
"Furthermore, an investigation conducted by the New York Times has revealed that Justice Thomas, may have, on several occasions, benefited from the use of a private yacht and airplane owned by Harlan Crowe (sic), and again failed to disclose this travel as a gift or travel reimbursement on his federal disclosure forms as required by the Ethics in Government Act of 1978."
Crow, a son of the late Dallas developer Trammell Crow, is a major GOP fundraiser and Thomas friend who the New York Times reported stepped in to finance a cannery museum project in Georgia favored by Thomas.
The letter goes on to request that the judicial conference refer the matter of Thomas' alleged "willful failure to disclose" the income and travel to the Department of Justice, "so that appropriate civil or criminal actions can be taken."
Filner's San Diego mayoral strategy revolves in large part around his position in the race as the sole major Democrat among GOP candidates.
More like this:
- Democrat Jacobs rips GOP's Lincoln Club in mega-millionaires' political war — Oct. 9, 2013
- Judge in Filner case discloses link to Tierney, denies knowing Gloria or hotelier — March 13, 2013
- Among Late Filers, Issa Discloses Huge Loans, Filner Reveals Mortgages and Free Trips — Aug. 20, 2012
- Columnist Vows to Return Speaking Fee to Controversial Iranian Group Backed by Filner — July 5, 2012
- Federal Election Commission Cites "Problems" with Filner 2012 Campaign Committee Disclosures — May 22, 2012