Austin Mackin 11 a.m., March 7
Woman's Arm and Toes Amputated While Trying to Catch a Ride on a Freight Train
A 27-year-old woman lost her right arm as well as some toes after she was struck by a tanker car while trying to hop a freight train near downtown after a night of drinking. The incident occurred early Tuesday morning at the Beech Street Grade Crossing.
After hitting up some downtown bars, the woman and a 34-year-old male who was accompanying her walked to the tracks to watch the trains. Moments later they decided to hop on board. The man noticed the female lying on the ground after he made it on board. He jumped down and pulled the woman off the tracks. She was later driven to Scripps Mercy Hospital.
More like this:
- Juvenile arrested for transit system sexual assault — Oct. 8, 2012
- They See You, Have You Seen Them? — Sept. 28, 2006
- Raised Not to Hope Too Hard — April 13, 2000
- A Fateful Check at the U.S. Grant — March 11, 1999
- Ticket to Tecate — March 26, 1998