Marty Graham 5:30 p.m., Jan. 19
Man Sentenced To 5 Years For Killing Girlfriend's Dogs
Patrick Caleb Land was sentenced to five years and four months in state prison today for beating his girlfriend's three dogs to death over a span of two months in 2010.
Investigators at County Animal Services department found DNA evidence linking Land to the attacks on Jack, a nine-year-old shepherd mix, Pikanik, a four-year old mutt, and Josh, a Great Pyranes-Golden Retriever mix. Before the investigation Land told his girlfriend and Animal Services officers that he had discovered the dogs dead in their bedroom.
Land, 25, plead guilty to the crime in September 2011, after authorities caught up with him in North Carolina and extradited back to San Diego.
“This is a particularly brutal and disturbing case of animal cruelty,” was the statement from District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis about the conviction. “Our office takes these cases very seriously and the five-year prison sentence imposed today sends a strong message that animal abusers will be held accountable for their crimes.”
Added Dawn Danielsen, Director of County Animal Services: “Today’s sentencing brings a measure of justice for the animals that were killed and their owner.”
Pictured: L-R: Pikanik, Josh, and Jackie
More like this:
- Illinois fugitive is also San Diego runaway — Sept. 8, 2015
- Aunt and uncle get prison for “pimping” their 12-yr-old niece — May 20, 2013
- Caretaker sentenced for dogs' attack on joggers — May 3, 2013
- Guilty: Valley Center man failed to control dogs that attacked joggers — April 24, 2013
- La Jolla resident convicted of selling compromised cancer treatment drugs — Aug. 28, 2012