• News Ticker alerts

According to Jimmy Valentine, his former producer, radio personality Roger Hedgecock may depart KOGO and wind up at KFMB. Valentine stresses that this is rumor; his statement in Dehesa Valley Gazette, his online sheet, has been picked up by others in the local media industry. "Info we get is that Hedgecock's ad endorsement clients have been notified that he will depart KOGO in January (unless taken off the air sooner?) and re-surface at KFMB. Word further is that Rick Roberts will be gone at KFMB opening the 3 p.m.-6 p.m. slot for Hedgecock," writes Valentine.

Hedgecock joined KOGO after he was forced to resign as mayor in 1985. Immediately, Hedgecock, who had been a political moderate, became an arch-conservative. (That's me talking, not Valentine.) Back to Valentine: Hedgecock launched a nationally syndicated radio show in early 2009 under the banner of the Radio America Network. Valentine believes he then left the KOGO payroll and was paid $300,000 a year by Radio America. The show was heard on KOGO in San Diego, which continued to sell local spot advertising. So Hedgecock also got lucrative endorsement fees paid by local advertisers, says Valentine, and KOGO profited. It's not clear why KOGO let Hedgecock go; Valentine suspects that ratings weren't so hot because Hedgecock was delivering the same views as Rush Limbaugh and other right-wingers who air earlier. Hedgecock's national show has failed to crack the top markets, says Valentine, whose break-up with Hedgecock was not a pleasant one.

Remember, at this point this is rumor.

• News Ticker alerts

Comments

Visduh Nov. 2, 2011 @ 3:39 p.m.

If any of the other blog readers ever listen to Hedgecock, they'll undoubtedly agree that he has slipped far from where he was when doing local talk. His commentary is sluggish, there are long pauses between words, and he comes across as utterly unprepared. It is like listening to a guy who just came in from a round of golf and started to talk. He lacks an agenda for his spiel, fumbles to find his reference materials, and loses his train of thought. And I have a suspicion that there's a producer or prompter who is talking to him (unheard on the air, of course) when he makes many of those pauses, but who distracts him. He's not ready with the spiel the way that Limbaugh, Beck, or "Vannity" always are. He's just at a loss for words for most of the three hours, whereas the others are NEVER in that fix. Whether you like or used to like him, you have to admit that as those talk shows go, his is weak.

Don Bauder Nov. 2, 2011 @ 10:15 p.m.

Jimmy Valentine, whom I know and respect, believes that if Hedgecock approached KOGO (Clear Channel) about the prospects of a local show, "the response is likely to be lukewarm, tepid or downright chilly. Clear Channel is in the process of throwing out employees by the score all across the nation. KOGO has been downsized to the point that local newscasts are being anchored out of KFI in Los Angeles." Best, Don Bauder

Visduh Nov. 3, 2011 @ 7:45 a.m.

It is true that KOGO now gets some or all of its news broadcasts from KFI. For a station that supposedly prided itself for having the biggest newsroom of any station in the market, it has slipped far.

Don Bauder Nov. 3, 2011 @ 9:01 a.m.

How about TV stations getting their weather broadcasts from LA? Best, Don Bauder

MURPHYJUNK Nov. 4, 2011 @ 8:17 a.m.

They would be better off installing a window and looking at the sky.

Duhbya Nov. 3, 2011 @ 7:41 a.m.

"Vannity"!! First time I've seen that one. That's brilliant. May I use it? If so, I think I'll amend it to "Fean Vannity".

Visduh Nov. 3, 2011 @ 7:47 a.m.

I picked that up from someone else several years ago. And cannot remember who it was. I'd say it's in the public domain by now. Feel free.

Don Bauder Nov. 3, 2011 @ 9:04 a.m.

If it wasn't in the public domain then, it is now. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 3, 2011 @ 9:03 a.m.

Oh vanity, they name is Hannity. Best, Don Bauder

Duhbya Nov. 3, 2011 @ 1:22 p.m.

Not to be confused with MANatee. Oh, the humanity!

Burwell Nov. 2, 2011 @ 11:27 p.m.

I suspect KOGO would be eager to hire Roger to reprise his local radio show, but not at a salary that Roger would be willing to accept. I doubt his show on KOGO could generate enough ad revenue to pay him $100,000 a year. Rick Roberts should stop smoking and drinking. It's destroying his voice. He croaks like a bullfrog when he speaks.

Visduh Nov. 3, 2011 @ 7:42 a.m.

That's like suggesting that Rick stop being Rick. He's been steadily moving in more extreme directions for years, and I'd guess he's sounding more irrelevant to his listeners all the time.

Don Bauder Nov. 3, 2011 @ 9:09 a.m.

But I am sure that some listeners on the fringes love him. If an advertiser wants such a market, Roberts would be a buy. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 3, 2011 @ 9:06 a.m.

I can't comment about Roberts -- haven't heard him for more than a decade. I hope there would be a market for a local show by Hedgecock, but I think the skeptics may be right. Best, Don Bauder

sdsocialdiary Nov. 3, 2011 @ 7:31 a.m.

I worked with Hedgecock in the early 2000's doing a celebrity / news segment.... he wasn't that conservative, but he was fun!... very definitive opinions.

Don Bauder Nov. 3, 2011 @ 9:12 a.m.

I was on his show a time or two and was on panels with him several times. He is a good entertainer. What interests me about Hedgecock is that when he was mayor, he was a political moderate -- almost liberal. As soon as rightwing radio became hot, he shifted to extreme conservatism. I understand that KFMB is not as far right as KOGO. Would Hedgecock shift back? I think so. At one point, he was thinking of running for office again -- forgotten whether it was US senate, governor, whatever. My guess is that if he had run, he would have tacked to the center quickly. Best, Don Bauder

MURPHYJUNK Nov. 3, 2011 @ 8:28 a.m.

Listening to Roger reminds me of a bored professor with all his long pauses between paragraphs so the students can write down his pearls of wisdom.

Don Bauder Nov. 3, 2011 @ 9:13 a.m.

Maybe they are pauses that refresh. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 3, 2011 @ 12:14 p.m.

HEDGECOCK SAYS ANNOUNCEMENT COMING. Jimmy Valentine just told me that Hedgecock has confirmed that he will be at KOGO until Dec. 30, and that an announcement is coming. Best, Don Bauder

Visduh Nov. 3, 2011 @ 2:24 p.m.

The pauses aren't between paragraphs or even sentences. They often come between "the" and the noun. As though he's fishing in a much diminished vocabulary for the right term and cannot find it. Or as if he's forgotten what he wanted to say. Pathetic.

Don Bauder Nov. 3, 2011 @ 10:43 p.m.

As someone 75, I know all too well how this happens. Hedgecock is 65. Maybe he has aged faster than others. Best, Don Bauder

Ponzi Nov. 3, 2011 @ 7:30 p.m.

Hedgepock was one of the few beneficiaries of the collapse of the J. David Dominelli Ponzi scheme. He lost his seat as mayor in a scandal, but was recruited to employ his endless manic diatribes on the local airwaves.

PS. Who listens to AM radio anymore?

Don Bauder Nov. 3, 2011 @ 10:47 p.m.

Yes, Hedgecock landed on his feet, although one jury went 11 to 1 for conviction and the second went 12 to 0. After a lot of legal machinations, the case didn't go back for a third trial. And Hedgecock became a radio star. Dominelli went to the slammer for a long stretch, Hoover for only two years, even though she admitted she had lied in court about her complicity in making out phony monthly statements and destroying documents. Shepard landed on his feet, as did Mitrovich, although both went through some agony, as did Hedgecock. Best, Don Bauder

BradleyFikes Nov. 3, 2011 @ 10:41 p.m.

Here's the announcement, on SD Rostra: http://sdrostra.com/?p=21872

Rostra originally published Valentine's comments which Don quoted, available here: http://sdrostra.com/?p=21747

Don Bauder Nov. 3, 2011 @ 10:48 p.m.

Yes, Rostra published Jimmy Valentine's information, too. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 3, 2011 @ 10:52 p.m.

KOGO ADVERTISING FOR TALK SHOW HOST. Clear Channel Communications, owner of KOGO, is advertising for a talk show host, unless the document making the rounds, which looks quite legitimate, is an elaborate and very professional phony. KOGO wants someone "engaging, entertaining, and enlightening." The target market is San Diegans around 45 years of age. Best, Don Bauder

Facebook Nov. 4, 2011 @ 10:41 a.m.

Juan S.: He resigned from the San Diego Mayors Office in disgrace. let's not forget that.

Don Bauder Nov. 4, 2011 @ 2:35 p.m.

He was forced to resign. Best, Don Baudere

Facebook Nov. 4, 2011 @ 10:42 a.m.

Paul M.: Maybe he's getting ready to become Herman Cain's running mate.

Don Bauder Nov. 4, 2011 @ 2:36 p.m.

Trouble is, the presidential candidate chooses his running mate to BALANCE the ticket. The top candidate wants somebody who might appeal to a different audience -- somebody different. Cain and Hedgecock think exactly alike. Best, Don Bauder

Twister Nov. 4, 2011 @ 1:41 p.m.

Isn't it hilarious how celebrity/politician/bureaucrat names often seem comically revealing? Hedge-cock* indeed! Like spokesman Speaks? Who needs comedy when we've got politics?

BTW, I dealt with the Roger-over-and-out-MPD poster-boy as a young lawyer from Del Mar many moons ago. He struck me as a bit of a *weather-vain even then. A real swinger from a bit left to far right, a spinmeister extraordinaire. He oozed his way across the floor, exuding that kind of Pyggy-mal-lyon charm that makes matrons swoon. (Thank you, Fritz!)

I am, however, concerned that as a young man of 65, he may not be in the best of health. Much as I may disagree with people, I am always dismayed when others make mistakes, commit crimes, suffer poor health or are abused in the name of righteousness, "right" or "left."

Life and death we can't control; we can only control our behavior. Mi tu amigos!

Don Bauder Nov. 4, 2011 @ 2:39 p.m.

I always thought Hedgecock believed he would never die -- omnipotent, omniscient, indestructible. Is he evincing the kinds of warts that all the rest of us have? Best, Don Bauder

Burwell Nov. 4, 2011 @ 6:36 p.m.

According to Jimbo Valentine, Roger is a health food nut who is obsessed with his health and eats well. Roger is also frequently seen jogging on the Mission Beach boardwalk where he lives. He appears to be thin as a rail. While his physical health may be sound, he may be reaching the point where he's no longer sentinent. He could have bad genes. This could explain why he abandoned his principles and endorsed DeMaio for Mayor. His endorsement could be a symptom of creeping impairment.

Don Bauder Nov. 4, 2011 @ 8:25 p.m.

At age 65 he is entitled to some impairment. From an ideological perspecive, it was logical for him to endorse DeMaio. Yes, Hedgecock is a gay basher, but perhaps he considers the candidate's positions more important than his sexual proclivities. That sounds unlike Hedgecock, but maybe such softening comes with age. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 Nov. 4, 2011 @ 11:38 p.m.

I have seen Roger Hedgecock so many times at Mission beach I have lost count. He used to eat on the patio of the Green Flash all the time.

He is living in south Mission beach now.... He used to live on that street over in Birdrock, right where PB ends and Birdrock begins, forgot the name of it......

Don Bauder Nov. 5, 2011 @ 8:50 a.m.

I have no idea where he resides and I am not sure it's relevant to the discussion. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 4, 2011 @ 8:32 p.m.

CHRIS REED SAID TO BE OUT, TOO. Chris Reed, the conservative/libertarian Union-Tribune editorial writer who has been on KOGO, is out, according to the buzz in the media. Tonight (Nov. 4) is said to be his last night at KOGO. I have no confirmation of this. At this point it is insider gossip. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 5, 2011 @ 7:52 a.m.

CONFIRMED: CHRIS REED OUT AT KOGO. Chris Reed, the U-T conservative/libertarian, will no longer be on the air after the weekend, KOGO has confirmed. Best, Don Bauder

Visduh Nov. 5, 2011 @ 9:12 a.m.

Except for his diatribes against Mike Aguirre, Reed and Don Bauder seemed to be on the same page in regard to local matters. He was constantly complaining about neglect of the infrastructure. He wasn't opposed to a new stadium per se, but didn't want any taxpayer funds put into it at all. (That meant, of course, that it would never get built.) He'll be replaced in that early evening time slot, but by what or whom? They may go to something nationally syndicated for a while. Then there's the remote possibility that KOGO grabs Rick Roberts.

SurfPuppy619 Nov. 5, 2011 @ 10:48 a.m.

I actually used to post on Reeds column in the UT pretty often, and he had me in his corner on many issues, but I LOST it one day when he went after Mike and I unloaded on him-but to his credit he did not ban me form posting there.......

Don Bauder Nov. 5, 2011 @ 5:47 p.m.

The attacks on Aguirre by Reed and Kittle, who were playing up to the establishment, were reprehensible. And it appears neither Reed nor Kittle got reimbursed by the establishment. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 5, 2011 @ 5:45 p.m.

There are some other changes taking place, but right now it is mostly speculation about LaDona Harvey, Brian Suits coming in from Seattle, etc. At this point I don't think enough is firm to report even rumors. Best, Don Bauder

Twister Nov. 5, 2011 @ 8:05 a.m.

Something (a lot of things), bugs me about de Maio . . .

Don Bauder Nov. 5, 2011 @ 8:52 a.m.

I don't see how DeMaio is helping his cause by trying to embarrass the Occupy San Diego protesters. According to what I have read, they have public opinion on their side. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 Nov. 5, 2011 @ 10:46 a.m.

DeMaio is the only politician in this state taking on multi million dollar public employee compensation packages that have already BKed the services of the city. We are services bankruted because of the over the top pay and pensions these gov employees are receiving, far more than the median paid state worker in the private sector. Where secretaries can "retire" at age 55 with a multi million dollar pension.

I am behind him 100% He is like the NEW Mike Aguirre to me. Mike took up the battles and Carl is following in his foot steps.

Don Bauder Nov. 5, 2011 @ 5:37 p.m.

Yes, DeMaio is taking on the city employee unions. That's good. But is he taking on corporate welfare -- that is, is he taking on the downtown business establishment? I haven't noticed that he is doing so. Best, Don Bauder

Visduh Nov. 7, 2011 @ 9:19 p.m.

It's no rumor. As of today, Monday, Nov. 7, "Rogah" is off the air at KOGO, and is replaced by Harvey and this new guy, and they are simulcasting on FM 95.7. The only question now is where or if Hedgecock will resurface locally. Just how his national syndication is going is the mystery. If his status at his "hometown" outlet is any indication, he's out of business and off the air everywhere.

Uum, . . . this could be the end of the line for him as a talk show host. Or . . . um, maybe not.