Matt Potter 2:08 p.m., July 30
U-T Daily Circulation Falls, Sunday Rises
Union-Tribune Monday-Friday circulation for the six months ended Sept. 30 fell to 219,347, down from 224,761 for the same period last year and 242,693 for the same period in 2009, according to Audit Bureau of Circulations (ABC) data released this morning (Nov. 1). However, Sunday circulation rose to 293,423, up from 286,518 last year but down from 309,573 in 2009.
Importantly, ABC recommends that current data not be compared with past periods, because the methodology has been changed to address issues related to digital editions. This was also true in the report of last spring. Nonetheless, some papers in reporting the data made the comparisons then.
This morning, columnist Rick Edmonds of Poynter.org predicted before the data were released that they would generally go sideways because of the rules changes.
The North County Times reported gains -- Monday-Friday 75,727 versus last year's 69,991, and Sunday 80,920 versus last year's 71,290. Again, however, the data may not be comparable.
The Union-Tribune's Monday-Friday circulation was 25th in the U.S. However, it was not within the top 25 of newspapers with digital editions.
More like this:
- Union-Tribune circulation takes a hit — May 1, 2014
- U-T reports circulation gains, some dips, but... — April 30, 2013
- Most U-T circulation numbers decline, according to ABC — Oct. 30, 2012
- U-T, N.C. Times Report Circulation Figures Under New System — May 3, 2011
- Union-Tribune Circulation Continues Falling; North County Times Edges Up — Oct. 25, 2010