Don Bauder 6:30 p.m., Aug. 21
Two Belgians Indicted for Smuggling Aircraft Parts to Iran
A federal grand jury sitting in San Diego has handed up a superseding indictment charging Willy A.E. De Greef and Frederic Roland Nicolas Depelchin, both Belgians, of smuggling aircraft parts to Iran. According to the U.S. attorney's office, the pair falsely promised U.S. suppliers that the parts would not be diverted to Iran.
U.S. law prohibits exportation of goods to that country without express permission of the Treasury. The defendants, who were charged on 15 felony counts, had no such permission.
The original indictment was handed up in March, but was sealed until Friday, May 13, when DeGreef was arrested in London, according to the U.S. attorney's office.
Depelchin remains a fugitive, says the government. Two companies were also indicted.
More like this:
- Two ultra-light drug smuggling aircrafts seized in Baja — July 17, 2013
- This Ponzi Scheme Promised 5% to 8% a Month — April 16, 2012
- 117 Gang Members Nailed on Drug Charges — Jan. 25, 2012
- Big Bucks For Human Smugglers — Nov. 18, 2011
- He Offered Investors More Than 60% a Year — June 1, 2011