Ian Anderson 4 p.m., April 22
Two Belgians Indicted for Smuggling Aircraft Parts to Iran
A federal grand jury sitting in San Diego has handed up a superseding indictment charging Willy A.E. De Greef and Frederic Roland Nicolas Depelchin, both Belgians, of smuggling aircraft parts to Iran. According to the U.S. attorney's office, the pair falsely promised U.S. suppliers that the parts would not be diverted to Iran.
U.S. law prohibits exportation of goods to that country without express permission of the Treasury. The defendants, who were charged on 15 felony counts, had no such permission.
The original indictment was handed up in March, but was sealed until Friday, May 13, when DeGreef was arrested in London, according to the U.S. attorney's office.
Depelchin remains a fugitive, says the government. Two companies were also indicted.
More like this:
- Some of that Mexican drug-dealer money — Jan. 9, 2015
- Three Charged with Running Stock Loan Scam — March 15, 2012
- Ex-El Centro School Superintendent Admits Fraud — March 12, 2012
- He Offered Investors More Than 60% a Year — June 1, 2011
- He Knowingly Sold Defective Parts to Military; Gets Two Years — June 28, 2010