• News Ticker alerts

The Imperial Valley Press reports that Congressman Bob Filner is considering running for Mayor of San Diego. At a town hall meeting in El Centro on Monday, Filner said that he is weighing his options and expects to announce his decision in coming weeks.

According to the report, Filner said that he is interested in the idea of governing at a local level and told audience members that residents of Imperial Valley would have a friend in "one of the most powerful seats in San Diego."

Up until now, District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis and city councilmember Carl DeMaio, both Republicans, are the biggest names in the race for mayor.

Filner is not the only politician pondering a run for mayor. In recent months, State assemblyman Nathan Fletcher, state Senator Christine Kehoe, former councilman Scott Peters, and former state Senator Denise Moreno Ducheny have also hinted that they may enter the race.

Filner's office failed to respond in time of publication.

• News Ticker alerts

Comments

SanDiegoParrothead May 17, 2011 @ 11:53 a.m.

Filner, Fletcher, Kehoe, Peters

Holy crap! More of the same old, same old ....

SurfPuppy619 May 17, 2011 @ 10:02 p.m.

I am a Filner fan, he would do a good job as Mayor.

MURPHYJUNK May 18, 2011 @ 7:43 a.m.

once agin, time to vote for the least detestable of the lot,

Psycholizard May 18, 2011 @ 12:44 p.m.

I like Bob Filner. Even Surf Puppy has to like a Freedom Rider who fights his inciting a riot case from a jail cell, fights all the way to the Supreme court, and wins not only his case, but also overturns a segregation law.

ANYONE WHO LOOKS THE OTHER WAY WHILE BONNIE DUMANIS ROBS THIS CITY, IS A CROOK, OR HAS THE BRAINS OF A WIG WEARING, FLINTLOCK TOTING TEA PARTY REPUBLICAN.

Anyone who wasn't birthered yesterday, should remember that Bob Filner fights for the powerless.

tomjohnston May 18, 2011 @ 1:31 p.m.

How does surfpuppy619 feel about the fact that he voted in favor of HR1, though?

SurfPuppy619 May 18, 2011 @ 3:32 p.m.

How does surfpuppy619 feel about the fact that he voted in favor of HR1, though

I iwll tell you as soon as I figure out what HR1 is.

tomjohnston May 18, 2011 @ 6:52 p.m.

HR1 is House Resolution 1 better known as the American Recovery & Reinvestment Act of 2009. You know, the one paying for the high speed bullet trains to nowhere, all of those "shovel ready" projects that don't seem to have materialized. It was supposed to : Preserve and create jobs and promote economic recovery; Assist those most impacted by the recession; Provide investments needed to increase economic efficiency by spurring technological advances; Invest in transportation, environmental protection, and other infrastructure that will provide long-term economic benefits; and Stabilize state and local government budgets. So anyone care to comment on how that's worked so far?

SurfPuppy619 May 18, 2011 @ 7:54 p.m.

American Recovery & Reinvestment Act of 2009.

If this was TARP I was like the other 94% of America, against it.

I would not vote for nor support this kind of "make work".

I respect Filner because he really stood up to President Bush (#1) and heckled Bush over some issues when Bush came out here in the late 80's. I respect a guy that will do that to a sitting President! Bush said he was going to make a "project" out of Filner, LOL!

tomjohnston May 18, 2011 @ 10:34 p.m.

TARP is/was HR 1424 the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008. It was Bush signed it into law before the election even took place. Unlike my "representative" Henry Waxman, Filner voted no. Based on comments of yours I've read over the last couple of months,I am somewhat suprised that you don't know the difference between TARP and ARRA. I find it curious you would make a selection for a mayoral candidate because you like the fact he heckled a sitting president more than 20 yrs ago. Perhaps he was one of your professors?

SurfPuppy619 May 19, 2011 @ 9:49 p.m.

When one makes a stand against a sitting Presdient, which will certainly result in retaliation (and it did as Bush himself remarked), that says soemthing to me about their charcater and make up.

I respect and admire person who will stand up against the odds and take a stand for what is right no matter what that may cost (in Filner's case political retaliation). Anyone can go with the flow, but one who stands up to what they see as injustice at a serious cost to their personal and professional life is someone you want on your side.

I have worked with so many spineless jellyfish cowards who would not stand up for rights when it was needed and counted-like I would- that it amazed me, tons of jellyfish in the world.

tomjohnston May 20, 2011 @ 9:03 a.m.

I understand that. Perhaps I should have phrased my comment differently. I meant it more as suprise at your reference to something that was more than 20 yrs ago. Things, and people, can change substantially in that period of time. Given your many remarks regarding Schwarzenegger and President Obama relative to your disappointment in their performance vs. expectations, I was suprised that your opinion wasn't based on a more recent performance in office. As I said, people can change over that amount of time. In my experience, that is especially true of politicians who frequently change in order to keep their all important donors happy, many times at the expense of their constituents.

Joaquin_de_la_Mesa May 18, 2011 @ 1:30 p.m.

Bob Filner fights for the powerless... Ha!

Not even Filner himself would use that tired old line.

Bob Filner fights for Bob Filner.

Dude wants nothing more than to get reelected every couple of years so that he can stay as far away as possible from his own district.

Psycholizard May 18, 2011 @ 6:12 p.m.

I would add that Fillner is the enemy of Juan Vargas, an important perp in the pension scandal.

As a soldier in the fight to improve the VA, he fought for the powerless. when he fought for the Veterans rights of former US citizens, he fought for the voteless and powerless. When he spent three months in jail as a result of his freedom ride, he fought for the powerless.

I don't see how Bob Filner could interfere with DA Dumanis legally unless there was a clear issue of civil rights. When there was a clear issue he has broken the law in the past for those rights.

We need a champion to stand up to Dumanis and the machine, We must stand together behind that champion or be obliterated.

If you don't like Filner who do you support? Those without a candidate might as well support Dumanis, because if we do nothing she will be mayor. She is not as weak, and is more twisted than Jerry Sanders.

SurfPuppy619 May 19, 2011 @ 9:43 p.m.

Legislators CANNOT interfer with any ACTIVE criminal or civil case, it is a violation of their sepration of powers.

They can act once the case is over (if your connected or important-do NOT expect this if you're a little guy or uncommected), but they cannot do a thing in an active case, and you should not even ask them.

The law is clear, we have three seperate but equal branches of gov and one cannot intrude upon or into the other's jurisdiction.

Visduh May 19, 2011 @ 4:22 p.m.

I was never a Filner fan, not when he was on the school board, not when he was on the city council, and I've not been a supporter of him as a congressman in general. But he has been more of an advocate for veterans and getting the proper treatment for the combat vets than most of the other local reps. He's made an attempt to reopen our eastern rail link (the one through Mexico), and he didn't like NAFTA. He tends to vote a partisan line on most things, so if you like what the Dems are doing and proposing nationally, you'll love him.

However, in light of what SD has had for mayors in the past twenty years, maybe he'd be an improvement. He's less likely, I'd suppose, to be in the pockets of the developers and downtown establishment. As to how he'd deal with unions, I cannot say for sure, but he probably would not push very hard for pension reform and solid municipal finances. If he were to become mayor, at his age, it would be his last elected office, and might decide to do the right things and not concern himself with his reelection. The more I think, the better he sounds. Of course, thank goodness, I don't live in SD and would choose almost any other part of SD County to live in before I'd go back to living in that wacked-out city.