Don Bauder 6:30 p.m., Oct. 24
Disabled Fishing Boat Yields Smuggled Pot
Harbor Police have found approximately 600 pounds of marijuana on a disabled fishing boat that was towed into San Diego by the Coast Guard on Monday night. The several bales seized were thought to be worth about $24,000.
The boat, believed to have come from Mexico, was located by Coast Guard officials about a mile and a half off Point Loma. Suffering from unknown mechanical issues, it was towed to a visitor dock near the Harbor Police’s marine office on Shelter Island. Two bales of marijuana were discovered on a precursory search, which led officers to expand their search efforts and discover several more that were concealed on the vessel.
The owner is expected to be charged on Federal drug laws, while a woman found aboard the craft was taken into custody and will face methamphetamine possession charges of her own.
More like this:
- Slow driver busted in Carlsbad — May 16, 2013
- Over 12 Tons of Marijuana Found in Pacific Ocean — June 19, 2012
- Harbor Police Discovers Cache of Weapons In Point Loma Home — Nov. 16, 2011
- yup I"m pissed off at the border patrol — Oct. 26, 2011
- Escape! Part II — May 22, 1986