Walter Mencken 9:23 a.m., Oct. 10
Land Purchase Expands Lakeside River Park
Lakeside’s River Park Conservancy announced the purchase of 6.5 acres of land on Tuesday. The parcel, which runs along Los Coches Creek, will provide habitat for several native local plants, including riverine, riparian scrub, and coastal sage.
The land will be restored to its natural state over the next few months. This is expected to clean the watershed of the San Diego River and ultimately the Pacific Ocean by eliminating or reducing storm-water pollution into the creek. Restoration has been underway on other parcels acquired by the group for several years, including several former sand-mining sites along the river.
The River Park, established in 2001, is located to the north of SR 67. A ¾-mile walking trail through some of the Park’s land is accessible via Channel Road.
More like this:
- Lakeside's River Park — May 29, 2013
- Showdown on the Rio Alamar — Sept. 5, 2012
- Carlton Oaks Golf Course, TY Investment, and the San Diego River Conservancy — Oct. 27, 2010
- Descend into Hell Creek and rise beyond in Valley Center's Hellhole Canyon Open Space Preserve — Dec. 19, 2002
- They Make Their Home by the River — Oct. 18, 2001