Dorian Hargrove 10:30 a.m., Dec. 1
Filner Reports $13,325 from Public Employees Retirement System
Now that Bob Filner has jumped into the San Diego mayoral race, online researchers will have a ball looking him up on the many D.C. websites dedicated to following members of Congress.
One good starting point is OpenSecrets.org, which features a campaign junky's paradise of data links.
Filner filed his personal disclosure statement on June 14, 2010, so another should be on its way soon.
His reported net worth for 2009 is said to range from $349,021 to $1,196,999, which makes him the 208th richest member of the House, according to OpenSecrets.
Specific assets include a host of tax-free bonds and funds. His only liability is listed as a Chase credit card balance between $15,000 and $50,000.
His extra income included a $13,325 in pension money from "Public Employees Retirement System." Filner used to teach history at San Diego State and was on the San Diego Unified school board and city council before heading for Congress.
Pension double-dipping is not uncommon in the history of San Diego mayors, of course.
Two years ago, the Union-Tribune revealed that current mayor and retired police chief Jerry Sanders had quietly reneged on a pledge to take reduced mayoral pay to compensate the public for the cost of his police pension.
"Asked why he didn't inform the public [of the change]," the U-T reported, "Sanders said he didn't know how to address it because it didn't feel appropriate to hold a news conference or issue a news release."
“I'm not wealthy,” Sanders told the paper. “I'm just like everybody else. I've got to make ends meet.”
The U-T story is here:
OpenSecrets on Filner:
Filner's 2009 Disclosure:
More like this:
- Sheriff reportedly plotting mayor's ouster got funds from Lynch, Blue, hotel interests, report says — Aug. 6, 2013
- More key lobbyist names emerge in wake of mayor's high dollar fundraiser — Jan. 24, 2013
- Two San Diego pols reported among top richest in Congress — Jan. 16, 2013
- Gwynn Family Backs Bob Filner, Tax Liens Highlighted by Union-Tribune — June 11, 2012
- Filner Reports $13,325 Pension Payment from Public Employees Retirement System — June 9, 2011