Marty Graham 4:30 p.m., Feb. 24
Redeveloping Lane Field
The Port of San Diego is seeking community input on its plans for Lane Field. The site was originally the home to the Padres of the Pacific Coast League from 1936 to 1957, more recently it’s served as cruise ship parking.
The Port plans to re-purpose the location for public open space as part of the North Embarcadero Visionary Plan. Phase 1 of the plan includes relocating Harbor Drive about 40 feet east, to create a 100 foot wide esplanade, or linear park, which will eventually grow to run the whole 1.2 miles of North Embarcadero.
Open space at Lane Field is slated to cover 1 2/3 acres of the 5.7 acre site, with the potential for another half acre being added if a Pacific Highway leasehold is acquired from the Navy. The remainder of the lot was approved for redevelopment featuring two hotels, restaurants, and retail space by the California Coastal Commission in January 2009.
The Port will accept comments from the public during an August 4 meeting running from 5-7 p.m. at their administration building at 3165 Pacific Highway.