Garrett Harris 4 p.m., July 24
Meth Found at Interstate 8 Checkpoint
Border Patrol agents seized approximately $750,000 worth of meth at a checkpoint on Interstate 8 near Pine Valley, in eastern San Diego County.
Around 3am on July 21, agents directed a 23-year old male to secondary inspection area after appearing a bit on-edge. Once at the inspection area, agents found 5 pounds of meth hidden inside the engine compartment of a gold 1999 Chevy Lumina.
Six hours later, at the same checkpoint, a 22-year old man driving a gold Chrysler 300, was also directed to a secondary inspection area. It was then that drug dogs alerted agents to the right-rear bumper. Tucked inside was 35 pounds of meth.
According to the Office of Homeland Security, since October of 2010 San Diego border patrol agents have seized over 65,000 pounds of pot and 317 pounds of meth at checkpoints throughout the county.
Pictures taken of the two vehicles
More like this:
- Let's smuggle — Feb. 6, 2015
- Calexico border agents seize cash headed for Mexico, meth headed for U.S. — Sept. 5, 2013
- Border agents make big seizure at Otay Mesa — Aug. 27, 2013
- Fishy way of hiding drug shipment — Aug. 22, 2013
- Border Patrol seizes cocaine, heroin, meth in North County — Jan. 18, 2013