• News Ticker alerts

San Diegan Bob Page, who worked for embattled publisher Rupert Murdoch for five years, says News Corp.'s Murdoch "is the smartest fox in the forest" and will probably emerge cleanly from the phone-hacking scandal involving one of his British publications, which has been closed.

Page owns San Diego Metro Magazine, North Park News, Kensington News, and West Coast Craftsman. He worked for Murdoch in acquisitions and was publisher of papers in San Antonio, Boston, and Chicago. After an "exhilarating five years" with Murdoch, Page and a group of investors bought the Chicago Sun-Times from him in 1986.

Page sold out three years later; those who stayed sold to Conrad Black, who went to prison. "Some of the Englishmen and Aussies do things they think [Murdoch] wants them to do, but he doesn't want them to do," says Page.

• News Ticker alerts

Comments

Psycholizard July 18, 2011 @ 6:20 p.m.

Murdoch may be the smartest fox and the smartest republican, but that matters little to the hounds chasing him. He has many enemies, and like any good puppet master, keeps his face well hidden. Now the curtain is stripped away, and the puppets will sing a new tune. The foolish children meanwhile, whack each other like Punch and Judy.

We may miss Rupert Murdoch, vile yes, but a grownup that can add and subtract. He can't save us now from the empty puppets he created.

Don Bauder July 20, 2011 @ 8 a.m.

Murdoch will come up with some tale of plausible deniability. He is probably too powerful to be nailed in the U.S., if the trail gets hot. However, there may be justice in Britain. Best, Don Bauder

sdsocialdiary July 19, 2011 @ 5:48 a.m.

Rupert Murdoch was briefly one of the owners of the La Jolla Light when I worked there in the 90's. Things were run well in that time period.... what is going on currently with the Murdoch empire is a whole different, unfolding story.... By the way I worked for Bob Page when he and his wife Rebeca owned the Rancho Santa Fe Review. I currently work for them at SD Metro Magazine. 'Integrity, real journalists'...those are descriptives for Rebeca and Bob Page. - Margo Schwab of San Diego Social Diary

Don Bauder July 20, 2011 @ 8:02 a.m.

Murdoch is generally considered a very effective and efficient boss -- perhaps the best in media. Ethics are another question altogether. Best, Don Bauder

tomjohnston July 19, 2011 @ 9:44 a.m.

I'm watching Murdoch answer question from members of Parliament and just witnessed the perfect example of the arrogance of people like Murdoch. One of the MP's reminded Murdoch that one of his oldest and most trusted employees, Les Hinton, had resigned basically saying he was captain of the ship and what happened did so on his watch and he felt he should resign because of it. She then asked Murdoch, since he was also the captain of the ship, had he considered resigning. His answer was classic. He said he was the captain of a much bigger ship, that they were the ones who let him down and that he wasn't going to pay for their mistakes, they were. How typical is that? I'm sure it won't happen, but I hope this guy is crucified. And as pitiful as security in Parliament apparently is and as serious as the consequences could have been, I think the shaving cream pie in the face was classic.

SurfPuppy619 July 19, 2011 @ 4:38 p.m.

I saw that too.

The better sound byte was his opening, claiming this has been the most "humbling" day of his life, or something to that effect.

Don Bauder July 20, 2011 @ 8:07 a.m.

Incidentally, I arrived at the San Diego Union in 1973. I was told about some publishing parvenu named Murdoch who had purchased one of the New York papers, and might be on the acquisition trail. He was basically unknown in the U.S. then. I called him, had a brief interview, and wrote it up. It was killed by an editor above me. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder July 20, 2011 @ 10:14 p.m.

Link? It never ran. An editor killed it. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 July 20, 2011 @ 1:14 p.m.

WOW, that is wild!

Don Bauder July 20, 2011 @ 10:15 p.m.

I didn't think much of it at the time. Murdoch was almost unknown in the U.S. then. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder July 20, 2011 @ 8:04 a.m.

I agree: Murdoch won't pay for his company's mistakes, at least in the U.S. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder July 20, 2011 @ 10:12 p.m.

Murdoch's reply was illogical, but he seems to have gotten away with it. Best, Don Bauder

Psycholizard July 20, 2011 @ 2:14 a.m.

Murdoch is highly leveraged, and I suspect that the lies he told the bankers will bring him down. Why anyone invests in the empire of lies is a mystery, I would think that many now suspect their money may not be safe in the hands of this obvious sociopath, and he will suffer the inevitable run on the bank.

Sometimes I think lawyers give out a fill in the blank testimony form to rich crooks; I [your name here}, was too trusting of [closest associates]. [companies name] was solvent. but was driven into bankruptcy by speculators who caused a panic.

Don Bauder July 20, 2011 @ 8:09 a.m.

Why should lying to bankers be a sin? Bankers are the biggest liars of all. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder July 20, 2011 @ 10:16 p.m.

You missed Little Mary Sunshine (me)? Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 July 20, 2011 @ 1:15 p.m.

================== LOL..pretty funny! I am sure this is not too far off the mark. These kind of canned responses are very common.

Don Bauder July 20, 2011 @ 10:17 p.m.

They are written by flacks and recited by CEOs. Best, Don Bauder

Twister July 20, 2011 @ 9:34 a.m.

". . . full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

We're being GAMED, folks. Bread, circuses, throwing lions to the Christians . . . it goes on. You're feeling sleepy, s l e e p y . . .

Don Bauder July 20, 2011 @ 10:18 p.m.

Yes, but the public must not mind getting gamed. Best, Don Bauder

Psycholizard July 20, 2011 @ 4:43 p.m.

"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste [or intelligence] of the American public." H. L. Mencken. These quotes might sum up the Murdoch empire until now, but many do go broke paying too much in leveraged buyouts, and so many newspaper chains that Murdoch outbid so often are in trouble. I smell baking books at Lies International. Smell is not proof, but advertising revenue is down overall, and especially in newspapers.

This is the first Murdoch product outside of Ulman and Groening that I want to watch.

Don Bauder July 20, 2011 @ 10:19 p.m.

Mencken wrote for a newspaper. Too bad we have to get along without scribes like him. Best, Don Bauder