The Canyoneers 7 a.m., Sept. 17
Sempra Is Big Donor on Secret Latino Legislative Caucus Money List
Following a report in the Sacramento Bee last week that the state's Latino Legislative Caucus had stopped disclosing donors to its nonprofit foundation two years ago, the group has released a list of donors responsible for a total of $50,000 in contributions it said had been given since December, the Bee reported today.
Among $5000 donors is San Diego's Sempra Energy, along with Southern California Edison, Multistates Associates, and the California Chamber of Commerce. $10,000 each was provided by the California Real Estate PAC, ConocoPhilips, and the Pechanga Band of Luiseño Indians.
"As it has become clear that other caucus foundations follow different disclosure practices in regard to their donors, as Chairman of the California Latino Legislative Caucus I believe that we should use the best practices of those caucuses and ensure full transparency regarding the Foundation's donors," Artesia Democratic assemblyman Tony Mendoza said in a statement reported by the Bee.
"I am in the process of advising all the members of the Latino Legislative Caucus that as we go forward the Foundation will practice full disclosure of its contributions."
Here's the Bee's latest story:
And the paper's original coverage:
More like this:
- Senator Hueso busted for DUI, paper reports — Aug. 22, 2014
- Recipients of half of Sempra non-profit cash unidentified in disclosure — June 6, 2013
- FBI raid draws spotlight to San Diego donors and legislators — June 5, 2013
- Educating Lara — April 10, 2013
- Shadowy San Diego PAC backs both GOP's Plescia and Democrat Brown's tax hike measure — Nov. 2, 2012