• News Ticker alerts

Currently, National City prohibits new alcohol licensees from selling single "tall boy" beers and other single-serve alcohol containers. But since the regulations went into effect, many retailers ignored the policy, complaining that the regulations adversely impacted business. One store owner sold homemade two-packs of Mickey's Malt Liquor wrapped with plastic wrap.

On July 6, city council members decided to ease the restrictions a bit by allowing liquor stores to sell three-packs of beer.

"I don't want them wrapping the three-packs themselves," councilmember Louis Natividad said during the hearing. "Because I don't trust those guys."

"It doesn't allow for single cans or bottles. And it still doesn't allow for malt [liquor] or any of those things," said Mayor Ron Morrison. "The individuals who are going to drink immediately, they do not want anything that is multiple-packed because they can't refrigerate it.

"This just takes a look at what the form of modern packaging is," added Morrison.

Image

• News Ticker alerts

Comments

JustWondering July 6, 2011 @ 3:06 p.m.

More nanny government and fewer liberties! Now the government tells me how many, or how few beers I can buy at one time. This is ridiculous! With all the financial problems our representatives have been party to, you'd think they'd devote their time and efforts to fixing those problems. Instead we get inane comments from Louis Natividad about trusting others. What a crock!

Our liberties continue the slide down the slippery slope, when there are already plenty of laws on the books to regulate us. Soon we won't be able to do anything without the government deciding if its good or bad for us.

Don't feel bad though, feel bad for your grandchildren they're the ones who loose the freedom of choice.

SurfPuppy619 July 6, 2011 @ 7:56 p.m.

For once I agree with JW-this is just ridiculous micro management by the gov, and to be honest I wonder how constitutional it is.

I don't drink alcohol so it does not directly affect me, but ANYTIME the gov tries to take away liberties it affects everyone a little bit, regardless of the action.

Visduh July 6, 2011 @ 7:46 p.m.

"The three-packs, however, have to be packaged by the distributors and not the store owners." How droll! Have you ever seen a pre-packaged THREE pack of anything? Of course not. So, they say it is OK to sell them, but nobody makes them. Will the distributors start to make such things? Maybe, if there's enuf market for them. And this is, make no mistake, National City, where plenty of such things seem part of the everyday life.

Dave Rice July 6, 2011 @ 8:33 p.m.

Check 7-11 - instead of 12 ounce six-packs the big domestic manufacturers are now producing shrink-wrapped 24 ounce three-packs. They seem intended for consumption by the kind of problem drinkers this law was enacted to deny access to booze to.

Visduh July 6, 2011 @ 10:13 p.m.

I'll be darned! Three packs? So you can buy the equivalent of a six pack of 12 oz by buying three of the really big ones? Wonders never cease.

MURPHYJUNK July 7, 2011 @ 9:15 a.m.

they waste their time on this, and ignore real issues?

Radical Uterus July 7, 2011 @ 1:26 p.m.

I spit my coffee all over my computer screen when the politician claimed he didn't trust the store owners.Ahhh the irony.

SurfPuppy619 July 7, 2011 @ 5:51 p.m.

Yes, a politician claiming they CANNOT TRUST the public!!!.....how funny.

The ONLY thing that could have made it even funnier is if KFC Sanders had said it!

Radical Uterus July 8, 2011 @ 10:17 a.m.

Yeah, but that would have been asking for too much.