Garrett Harris 4 p.m., Jan. 16
DUIs Up Over Past 4th Weekends
The San Diego Sheriff reported final numbers on its annual campaign against drinking and driving on the weekend surrounding Independence Day. DUI arrests for the four-day period spanning Friday through Monday totaled 334, a increase from 270 last year and 280 in 2009.
The "Avoid the 14" campaign (so named for the 14 participating law enforcement agencies in San Diego County) conducted one sobriety checkpoint in addition to 11 community "saturation" patrols and asking officers on routine patrol to focus extra attention on impaired drivers. Funding for the campaign came from a California Office of Traffic Safety grant, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
"Avoid" actions to curb impaired driving will continue this summer, culminating in a national 18 day anti-DUI campaign beginning in August and running through the Labor Day weekend.
More like this:
- Dumanis records anti-DUI radio spots — July 3, 2013
- $300,000 in federal funds for Sheriff's anti-DUI campaign — Oct. 31, 2012
- Drunk Driving Campaign On Del Mar's Opening Day — July 22, 2011
- DUI's Drying Up in San Diego County — May 30, 2011
- Lube Check — Aug. 18, 2010