Ian Anderson 2 p.m., March 2
Moss Out of New U-T Lineup
The Union-Tribune's masthead today (Dec. 6) reveals moves the company is taking under Papa Doug Manchester, new owner. On Monday, Ed Moss, who had been brought in May 12, 2009 as president, was still listed as president. Today, a day later, his name is off the masthead.
The new president and chief operating officer is Mike Hodges, whose bio lists him as having "special expertise in interactive media and advertising." An internal memo thanks Moss for "downsizing the business model," and making other changes. "Ed has graciously agreed to advise [Manchester's team] as we investigate other media opportunities."
The masthead has Manchester as chairman and publisher; radio veteran John Lynch as vice chairman and chief executive; Hodges, and Jeff Light continuing as editor and Kris Viesselman, a specialist in graphics, continuing as managing editor. In its ink and paper edition, the U-T has moved to splashy graphics a la USA Today. And, of course, the U-T has already heavily emphasized the electronics side.
More like this:
- Papa Doug is hiring — in Texas — Jan. 23, 2015
- Another shake-up hits U-T San Diego — Jan. 13, 2015
- Following disappointing year, management shakeup at U-T coming — Feb. 6, 2014
- Scathing report on U-T San Diego — Dec. 6, 2012
- Platinum Equity Names New Union-Tribune Publisher with Reputation for Cuts — May 12, 2009