I think we are all guilty of taking things for granted. With me, it was my beloved San Diego, particularly North Park and the Downtown areas. Even though I knew how lucky I was to have been born and raised (43 years, 51 weeks and 6 days...) in this beautiful city, I guess I just thought nothing could ever come between us, but it did. My son's father got a job offer in Seattle, so off we went.

I finally got the chance to visit my home town after nearly 6 agonizing months away. As the plane began its descent onto the Lindbergh Field landing strip, the beauty of my city brought tears to my eyes. I swore that the moment I stepped off the plane, or at least out of the airport, I would kiss the ground. I forgot to do that though...it's a good thing, I'm sure. However, I knew I was home at last.

After obtaining my rental car and finding my hotel, the next order of business was checking in with old friends. I called my friend Don who is bravely enduring radiation and chemotherapy and was relieved to know that despite his illness, his spirits were up and he was up and about carrying on with his life the best he can. He makes me so proud.

The following night was The Field in the Gaslamp District. This is where my new friends come in. Suzanne, Dave, and Josh. What a delightful trio this was. I came to know and love each one of them immediately just like I knew I would. Meeting these wonderful people was a reminder of what else I would leave behind once I made my way back home, but it is comforting to know that they will always be in my heart. Thanks, guys. I had the best time ever.

The remainder of my short visit was filled with visits with old friends, once again with my new friends, old favorite hangouts, trying to re-absorb every aspect, every sight, sound and smell of my San Diego to take back home with me. I think I succeeded, for this time, I took nothing for granted.

Comments

David Dodd June 27, 2009 @ 11:39 p.m.

You beat me to it! I loved meeting you, and I'll miss you a lot until we meet again. And we will. And we'll have more time. I hope you had a great time here. And I predict you'll return :)

magicsfive June 27, 2009 @ 11:48 p.m.

Absolutely, dear friend. I am also enjoying Cat's Cradle!!! Thank you again. Mmuah! xoxo

Josh Board June 27, 2009 @ 11:55 p.m.

I never read Cat's Cradle...but I'll put on the Harry Chapin album and listen to "Cats in the Cradle".

Magic, it was great meeting you. Although, if truth be told, I enjoyed meeting the other Magic...Magic Johnson...a lot more. After all, he was my all-time favorite basketball player. And when I drove up to LA to meet him at an event, it was such a thrill (even though my car got towed and ticketed).

I'll be looking forward to your next trip (and next blog).

Enjoy what's left of your weekend.

magicsfive June 28, 2009 @ 12:01 a.m.

I'll not take offense to that, Mr. Board ;) it was great meeting you too. Oh but that's what I was telling refried, about Cats in the Cradle...i love that song. But i like the Ugly Kid Joe version the best, but i digress. It is a great read so far!

David Dodd June 28, 2009 @ 12:04 a.m.

Josh,

I don't know if you've gotten into the book I gave you yet, but if you like it at all, you will LOVE Cat's Cradle. And, just enjoy the book, my friend. There will be no test. Heh.

And Magics, I knew you would love it. "See the cat? See the cradle?"

Kisses

SDaniels June 28, 2009 @ 12:42 a.m.

We heart you too, magics. Thanks for writing the inaugural blog of our annual "board meeting." "Cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon, little boy blue and the man in the moon, when you comin' home magics, don't know when, but we'll get together then, dear; you know we'll have a good time then" :)

magicsfive June 28, 2009 @ 12:56 a.m.

oh how fabulous....i love it SD, and you. i can't wait til next time!!!! xoxo

David Dodd June 28, 2009 @ 12:58 a.m.

Hey, SD: Where's yours, sweetheart? ;) Get your writing on!

SDaniels June 28, 2009 @ 1:19 a.m.

Yes, I will. Promise. Started back working, and had to help video a friend's little guitar concert tonight. Bit overwhelming this week, but I'm looking forward to writing it!

SDaniels June 28, 2009 @ 1:23 a.m.

Oh, and refried, I finished Post Office. Great read, clean style I remembered. Was reading it in the pharmacy, when a character walked by; could have been right out of the novel--wrinkled postal uniform, cherry nose and ruddy complect--totally harried. We'll discuss; I will also have a copy of Watt for you when we lunch. Would be good to compare some similar themes in Beckett.

Josh Board June 30, 2009 @ 12:13 a.m.

Oh Magic...that Ugly Kid Joe version of Cats in the Cradle is horrid. His voice doesn't work for that. Don't get me wrong...I actually like that band. I have two of their CDs. I dig "I Hate Everything About You," and there's another song that has this amazing, bluesy riff. Can't think of the title.

I became friends briefly with a guy that played bass in that band. He and the singer didn't get along. He's working at some lab in Sorrento Valley last I heard, but still gets the occasional residual check. And occasional nude photos of women that are fans.

Damn musicians.

magicsfive June 30, 2009 @ 11:32 a.m.

dammit josh...lol well truthfully i like all versions of cats in the cradle. but i do like the UKJ version. I heard guns n roses did it too but i don't think i've heard it. Damn musicians.