Things are not critical to our existence. I look around my desk. It is covered in crap. Things. That cost money. A computer, a calculator, a thesaurus (well, that may be necessary, as creativity is always a good "thing"). Imagine a world with no currency. What would we do if money was not the sole reason for getting out of bed in the morning?

We would not live in big, expensive boxes designed to hold all of our "things", including the big space that sits empty every day to hold our expensive cars, namely the garage. We would not have to go on expensive vacations to try to escape the stress from our jobs, which we painfully go to every day to make more money to support our "things". We would not compete with our fellow man for positions in our communities to appear more successful in the eyes of others, because we feel that if we don't measure up, it is indicative of our worth. We would not pay others to do the work we are capable of doing, such as yard or housework, if we only had the time. Because if we did not have money to pay for these chores, we would be required to complete them ourselves. Which would give a certain satisfaction for a job well done, rather than the nagging suspicion that you are somehow missing out on your life. Because you have to keep up the payments and the upkeep on your "things", lest others accuse you of being a slacker. We would take care of our clothing ourselves, rather than send it to the expensive, earth destroying dry-cleaners, because we have to look good to impress the people who we are begging for business or a job to support our "things". We would not have to go to soul-crushing, empty jobs that are pointless in the grand scheme of things, because no one will remember all the good things you have ever done, they will only remember the time you screwed up. We would not seek relationships with people based on how they can help support you, but instead would seek others with like-minded thoughts and interests, leading to lifelong friendships rather than soulless exchanges of business cards and the hope that this person might find you likeable enough to give you what you need - income.

We would lose our devices that allow anyone to find us at any time and demand labor from us, even when we are not on the clock. We would not feel like if we do not take that call, or answer that e-mail, that our very existence is being jeopardized because we may miss out on an opportunity.

We allow others to control our roles in life to the point of losing our identities. If we are constantly changing our actions to suit the needs of someone else, or living in fear that we are disappointing someone if we do not act a certain way, or make a certain amount of money, we are living a shallow life. It's too hard to keep trying to keep up a "lifestyle" you never asked for.

I quit my career yesterday. I say career because it was not a job, it was what I have done most of my life. I took a good, long look at my life this last week, and said to hell with it, I have nothing to lose but the last shreds of my dignity if I stay. My work KILLED everything about me that is good and kind. Negative thoughts in my head day and night, chasing me in my sleep. There is something very difficult about working with other people's money in today's world. People are angry. I no longer want to be part of that machine. I did this before two years ago, but I wasn't ready, and like a fool I went back thinking maybe things have changed for the better. Fat chance.

There is something to be said for living a simpler life. There is a person on this website whose lifestyle fills me with longing, because he seems to have figured out what is important to him - his writing, and the people he loves, which is what brings him joy. I am referring to Refriedgringo, whose paternal benevolence and aversion to crassness I once mistook for sexism, that being the result of the daily assault of stress and pressure I suffer at my work. I am scared to leave my job. But I am excited about the possibility of learning something new or honing something I already know but don't have the time to explore. I think everyone in my life will benefit from this, even if some think I am nuts for giving up a job while the unemployment rate hovers at 10%.

If anyone else has ever had a life-changing "aha" moment when they realized the soul-murdering life they were living was for the birds, I would love to hear about it. I can't wait until December 1st, which is when I walk out that door for the last time. My last day. And my first day to become what I was meant to be, whatever that may be. Time, which we only have a limited amount of, will tell.

More like this:

Comments

antigeekess Nov. 15, 2009 @ 12:33 p.m.

"re: #13: Speaking of noble savages, what kind of idea did you have for our animal friends, AG?"

Huh? LOL. Who's the noble savage, Daniels? Me or the four-leggeds?

Maybe you know me better than I think. :)

Honestly, what I'd like to see is so politically infeasible, I don't think 'anyone' could 'ever' pull it off. Animal charities need an umbrella organization like the United Way. As it is, they're scattered and mostly broke (especially NOW, which is probably the worst time ever to be trying to do anything for animals). They'd be stronger together, and could accomplish a lot more by pooling their limited resources.

How fantastic would it be to have an education center that features lectures on animals by personnel who deal with them and authors who write about them? Veterinarians, zoo personnel, researchers on animal intelligence, horse trainers, dog trainers, marine biologists, etc., etc.

In addition, the various charities could send speakers as well, to promote their individual org, recruit new membership, raise funds, etc. I was AMAZED at the number of different animal-related nonprofits I found in San Diego when I researched all this 5 years ago. I'm sure some have gone under, and new ones have sprung up.

The type of place I had in mind would be supported by an education-focused book and gift store, entirely focusing on both wild and domestic animals. Profits to cover overhead, salaries, and the remainder to be split among the member orgs.

Could also be a location for pet adoptions and sales of pet food and supplies.

Problems? Huge and lots. Just to name two: VERY expensive to get off the ground, and then you'd have to deal with all the individual egos and isolationist attitudes that a lot of the orgs are bound to have. Egos are as big a problem as money. I think most of the orgs are probably as much a social club as they are philanthropic. I would anticipate a huge amount of cliquishness and resistance to doing anything differently. I'd like to eventually spend some time studying the details of how the United Way functions.

As for me, I've wanted to volunteer at a shelter for years, but what that means is that MY needy little pet gets left at home alone more than she already is, and I already feel guilty about that. Between school and work, she spends a huge amount of time trapped in here alone. Same with the previous kitty. I can't see neglecting mine to spend time with other ones.

I do help to feed and water an outdoor cat on a mail route. Did it yesterday, in fact. Sylvester's looking good, for an old guy that lives outside. He was sleek and shiny.

CuddleFish Nov. 13, 2009 @ 11:10 a.m.

Good thread, MsGrant, excellent points, only one of which we will have disagree on. :)

SDaniels Nov. 13, 2009 @ 8:59 a.m.

Yes, you are getting ready to jump off the hamster wheel, Grant. Good for you! I can say that I have never performed in a regular career, having been a student most of my life. I have felt like jumping off the wheel with school (bad idea), and with piddling teaching jobs (good ideas).

Very nice note to gringo, btw--who no doubt has a teensy bit to learn about sexism yet, but hey, who doesn't! ;)

You know, I think refried is the very one to respond to this one. He claims (elsewhere on the site, recently) that each time he has thrown down the towel or trowel and walked out, he's somehow progressed in his life. He will probably come back next week and give you an earful.

Meanwhile, I congratulate you on your courageous move, and celebrate with you looking forward to what things really "count" for you ;)

antigeekess Nov. 13, 2009 @ 8:13 p.m.

"I quit my career yesterday."

I have 2 reactions to that. First,

(One of Cuddle's favorites.) :)

Second,

...as in AWESOME, DUDE!!!

I will be MOST interested to hear of your progress. Whatcha gonna do?

MsGrant Nov. 14, 2009 @ 7:41 a.m.

The $100,000.00 question. Whatcha gonna do? Get my sense of humor back? I just made some scrambled eggs. That felt good. I'm no domestic diva, but I like to cook. It seems weird to slow down and really focus on what I am doing. And AWESOME, DUDE! That cat was hilarious!! For now, I am going to futz around my house. Thanks for the support - I'll keep you "posted".

I am out of the Reader blog loop. Has refried fell out of favor? Now there is something to do. I'll go back and read the Reader blogs. Should take at least a year or so.

SDaniels Nov. 14, 2009 @ 12:42 p.m.

refried's not fallen out of favor--was joking above, and just know he's busy this weekend-- but he will surely want to come back and comment on your sitch.

"Kate and Leopold" is playing on Encore, and I turned it on just as I started to read your post. Hugh Jackman's character (19th cent. Duke of Albany) is complaining to Meg Ryan about the "General of Electric's" badly designed device--because "toast should be a result of reflection and study."

Which reminds me that trying MFK Fisher's recipe for slow cooked eggs (minus the scramble) is amazing. Takes about an hour on really low flame, barely stirred. Most melting-in-the-mouth eggs ever. ;

So my 64K question would be: what are you going to read while on hiatus?

MsGrant Nov. 14, 2009 @ 1:22 p.m.

Amazing eggs (sang to the tune of "Amazing Grace")....what funny timing! Yes, toast should be a result of study and reflection. Anything worth doing should be worth doing slooowly. Unless you race cars. So I just sat down with my New Yorker and was speed reading a book review, and I had to force myself to slow down and absorb the words, not just get them over with. Gotta work on this.

The last time I took time off from work with the intent to never go back, Walden lanquished on my nightstand while I wolfed down books on depression like Oliver Twist's gruel. Go figure. So, I will finish Walden (I will actually have to start over, I don't remember a thing from the first chapters I managed to get through), then who knows? Any suggestions from the well read?

SDaniels Nov. 14, 2009 @ 2:50 p.m.

I haven't finished Soloman's The Noonday Demon yet--had to return it, but will get it back. One book on depression that I have found most helpful is "Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy," by David D. Burns, MD. Practical stuff, and lots of attention to depression-related procrastination ;)

As for Walden, boy it's been a long time. I liked Emerson better than Thoreau, and think Thoreau was only slightly less a fraud about being out in nature. In that era and mood, Wordsworth and Coleridge's musings on the great outdoors are fun to read.

I myself need to be updated on contemporary fiction, and have felt too guilty to crack a novel when I should be reading for my own project, so I also stick with the New Yorkers, and Harpers, and some food-related stuff.

Maybe refried will have some recommends--he had me reading Bukowski's Post Office some months ago--frustration over work and bureaucracy being the major theme, I am forwarding by snail the copy to AG ;)

antigeekess Nov. 14, 2009 @ 3:31 p.m.

Walden is most appropriate. :)

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

Like most books, it's better read outside. When I lived in San Diego, I did a lot of reading and studying at the zoo, ortucked away in Balboa Park. I think it's called "Palm Walk" or "Palm Canyon" down there. Probably a little cold for that spot, this time of year, though.

I've been really interested in nonprofits for a long while, myself. If you have any interest in that area, it might be a good time to learn about those.

For depression? If you prefer going natural, I'd say exercise & St. John's Wort. If not, get thee to a shrink before your health benefits run out and get an Rx. :)

MsGrant Nov. 14, 2009 @ 3:34 p.m.

Solomon's book can be a bit frustrating in a few chapters based on his priviledged upbringing, but the guy is such a good writer and is so informed on his subject matter that it didn't bother me as much as it could have and I couldn't put it down. Walden kept putting me to sleep, but I am determined to read it. I kept getting the nagging feeling Thoreau was doing this less for the reader's benefit and more to make his non-conformity an experiment to offset his inability to hold a job. I am sure I have it all wrong. I can't judge if I am too lazy to finish the damn thing.

CuddleFish Nov. 14, 2009 @ 3:41 p.m.

If I counted how many years and how many times I've tried to read House of Mirth .... and I've read Age of Innocence at least ten times. Same author, totally different vibe. Defeats all my efforts to read it.

MsGrant Nov. 14, 2009 @ 3:58 p.m.

Anti, your post must have arrived at the same time mine did. See, I was wrong about Thoreau!! I'll give it the proper attention it deserves this time. I no longer suffer from depression, my bout with it being over, but at the time it was utterly terrifying. I read all those books to get some answers, and they helped me understand what was happening to me. Them, and a good therapist. Funny, I was always one of those people who would say things to those who exhibited symptoms of depression with the old "oh, you'll get over it. You're just having a bad day." Absolutely the wrong thing to say. It's nothing like having a bad day, that is for sure. Six months, and one day it lifted. I was like a miracle had occurred. I still to this day do not know where it came from or why. But it was like nothing I had ever experienced.

I do volunteer work for the Humane Society. I work in their Pet-Assisted Therapy program. I love it!! I started doing it two years ago and it was the antidote to my soul sucking job. I will probably wind up working as a counseler at some point. I am looking forward to someone appreciating that I helped them, instead of being yelled at because someone's proceeds were less than they selfishly anticipated. Lots of anti words in here! I thought I would want to go the non-profit route, and actually went to school to learn fundraising procedures, etc. It was about a 20 unit program, and I never went back after the first class. I could not stand the women in the class. And they were all women. The first question I asked the teacher was why were no men in the class. She said men rarely take the program or become involved in non-profit work. I asked her then why were all the non-profits run by men, and she did not have an answer. Anyway, the students were do-gooder types that came from wealthy families. They did not need to work to earn money. Non-profit work is not about what you know, it's about who you know, and how much money you have or contribute, depending on what you do. From what I have been told, it's a bureaucracy in and of its own.

MsGrant Nov. 14, 2009 @ 4:21 p.m.

I've heard that about The House of Mirth. There are people who detest that book. I've always wanted to read it.

antigeekess Nov. 14, 2009 @ 8:07 p.m.

I took a Learning Annex course once about nonprofits as well, and have a book or two on the subject. Yes, it's all about the fundraising, and to get the funds, I think there's no getting around the fact that you have to be well-connected, with a wide circle of friends, friends-of-friends and acquaintances. I had/have an idea for an animal-related nonprofit that was never able to get off the ground, due to this very fact.

I'm also just NOT the person to do it, frankly. I'm a good idea person, but in addition to having ZERO connections, I'm not at all salesy.

magicsfive Nov. 14, 2009 @ 10:36 p.m.

very nice read MsG...and it's good to see you back. it's been a while! i hope your decision works out for you, my dear. take some time for YOU. xoxo

MsGrant Nov. 15, 2009 @ 7:28 a.m.

Thanks, Magics! Hey, did you see this?

I'm sure you did, but just in case....

Anti, I know tons of people. Unfortunately, I like very few of them, but I would be willing to extort money out of them for a good enough cause.

David Dodd Nov. 15, 2009 @ 7:45 a.m.

Wow, how did I miss this two days ago? This is wonderful! Ms. Grant, I so sincerely hope that you regain the same measure of sanity that I have regained, and I hope that you find out so many wonderful things about yourself along this journey :)

I have visitors or I would make this a more proper comment. I have one brother-in-law that I learned yesterday is now someone who sells ice cream. He seems happy. What could be better than selling ice cream?! The other brother-in-law, the new one, is a bodyguard in Mexico City, this is the first I've met him. My guess is that he would be happier seling ice cream. He struggles to find himself.

Selling ice cream could be anything. What it isn't, is beating one's head against the wall in order to make ends meet. What it could be is a euhpamism for that which brings us happiness. At ten this morning when the bars open and I drag this brother-in-law along with me to open one up, my first toast will be to you, and to however you get to the point where you're selling ice cream rather than peddling someone else's idea of profit.

It's all about you, Ms. Grant, and that's how it should be :)

SDaniels Nov. 15, 2009 @ 8:18 a.m.

re: #9: "I kept getting the nagging feeling Thoreau was doing this less for the reader's benefit and more to make his non-conformity an experiment to offset his inability to hold a job."

I think you are right about this being partly Thoreau's motivation. As I recall, he was really inspired by his mentor's (Emerson's) enthusiasm for nature, and Emerson kept pushing him to make a sort of experiment of himself philosophically--Emerson was himself a true voyeur and unabashed, hyperbolic armchair philosopher. You had no choice but to isolate somewhere in 'nature'if you didn't have the funds to properly flit around with the seasons. So many of these guys were shabby but upright in posture--they always had the dignity of being artists, writers, thinkers--somewhat redeeming to the more monied classes--along with the 'noble savage' figure that was all the rage--Rousseau tried to make himself over in this fashion, and of course Wordsworth had his "leach gatherer" ;)

SDaniels Nov. 15, 2009 @ 8:28 a.m.

refried mused:

"He seems happy. What could be better than selling ice cream?! [...] Selling ice cream could be anything. What it isn't, is beating one's head against the wall in order to make ends meet. What it could be is a euphanism for that which brings us happiness."

Sorry, gringo, totally inappropriate-- but I couldn't resist! One of my all-time favorite flavors of poem ;)

The Emperor of Ice-Cream

Call the roller of big cigars, The muscular one, and bid him whip In kitchen cups concupiscent curds. Let the wenches dawdle in such dress As they are used to wear, and let the boys Bring flowers in last month's newspapers. Let be be finale of seem. The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

Take from the dresser of deal, Lacking the three glass knobs, that sheet On which she embroidered fantails once And spread it so as to cover her face. If her horny feet protrude, they come To show how cold she is, and dumb. Let the lamp affix its beam. The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

-Wallace Stevens

SDaniels Nov. 15, 2009 @ 8:43 a.m.

PS: I love that you volunteer for the animals, MsGrant!

Question for MsG and AG:

What do you think about volunteering at a shelter, and having a cat with a compromised immune system (has the incurable, but not always expressed feline upper respiratory virus)? Some shelter volunteers tell me they would not have cats of their own and volunteer--this group including a vet--but then others have claimed there is not much danger in bringing anything communicable home to our feline riends...

PistolPete Nov. 15, 2009 @ 10:15 a.m.

What's wrong with stating a fact, MsGrant? If there were no blacks or Mexicans, and completely white, how is that a racist statement? You sound like another elitist Liberal.

magicsfive Nov. 15, 2009 @ 10:50 a.m.

re #15: yes i did :) how funny that when i read your post with that clip that i got goose bumps lol...i knew what it was going to be and i love how you think of me when these articles come up. you're such a love. :)

MsGrant Nov. 15, 2009 @ 9:42 a.m.

That poem was brilliant, SD! Um, when do you sleep?

Refried, glad you liked my post. "rather than peddling someone else's idea of profit" - that sums it up. I cannot reconcile what I do and what I feel. It's too much about money. My business is all about chasing the buck. Let me give you an example of the kind of s***heads I work with. This rep comes to my office on Friday. She starts telling me about her trip to the east coast - she went to New England to see the leaves change or whatever. Then her voice drops and she says "and you know what else? There were no black people or Mexican people. It was soooo white." I am sitting there, trying to keep the smile on my face, while my jaw is clenching and I want to scream at this idiot "what the hell makes you even think I would be okay with a statement like that!?!?!" I cannot stand sales reps anyway. We call them "doughnut couriers", because all they do is bring bagels and trinkets to get business and don't have any real discernable skills. Anyway, you get my drift. Phew! Thanks for letting me vent. It's almost beer-thirty! Carry on, soldier!

SD - I don't stay at the shelter. I go there to pick-up the P-AT animals and me and the other P-AT volunteers load them up in the van and go to whatever facility we are scheduled for that day, so my contact with the shelter animals is limited to the P-AT animals. They have a clean bill of health. You could do the P-AT program if you are worried about contact with other kitties, such as the groomers or sitters have. There are lots of opportunities to work at the shelter without having direct contact with the animals. You could also be a dog walker. But to answer your question, I think the chances of picking up something there is minimal, since all the animals with any health issues are quarantined until they get better, or in the case of something incurable but not immediately life-threatening, they are kept in a separate holding area.

PistolPete Nov. 15, 2009 @ 11:07 a.m.

CuddleFish, you're the troll! You're as transparent as as a window. If New England doesn't have minorities, then they don't have minorities. Last time I checked, it wasn't illegal to move there and there isn't a Stop The Minorities campaign. That leaves one thing:minorities are choosing to stay away from New England. That's their business.

MsGrant Nov. 15, 2009 @ 1:28 p.m.

As I was reading your post, the word egos kept crowding my thoughts, and sure enough, you nailed it. It's such a shame that the ones with no egos (the animals) suffer because of the egos of the ones that can make a difference. They have their own agendas, and sharing the spotlight is not on it. I love your idea. I do have one bit of news that might cheer you up - the San Diego Humane Society and the North County San Diego Humane Society are merging.

Their reason? Together we can do more. People are starting to get it. Consolidation = power. Combining resources to make an organization stronger, especially when they step back and realize that they really do share a common goal that has nothing to do with individual ego-feeding needs. I think your idea may not be as impossible as you think. Animal welfare takes a great deal of dedication, and the ones who dedicate their lives to it have a great responsibility not only to the animals, but to the deep pockets of the ones that want their picture in Burl Stiff's column. I don't envy their position, because it is a price that has to be paid in order to raise money. It's like the Humane Society Fur Ball. You look around at this lavish event, the gowns and the jewels, and you think "good Lord, couldn't all the money spent on this event just be donated and we wouldn't need this gala?" Nope. Because the only way you are going to pry their wallets open is to show the proper reverence to the ones donating. And that is to throw an expensive party in their favor.

I'm glad Sylvester is doing well! Clyde is still alive and well. I thought I had lost him, they dug up the area where he lives, and then paved it back over. I kept bringing him food, and it sat untouched for weeks, and I finally gave up. The other day I drove by and there he was, lying in the sun!! I literally screamed "oh my God, it's Clyde!!" I stopped my car and got out and he of course ran away and ran back into one of the little holes in the pavement that they left untouched. So his little house underground is still there.

CuddleFish Nov. 15, 2009 @ 2:12 p.m.

Awwww AG and MsG, bless you both for caring about the kitties!

I am actually caring for a herd of ferals at an abandoned house around the corner from me. One of my friends works with the FCC and she asked to help her out until she can get them trapped and moved. We are trying to trap a pregnant mama at the moment.

Bless all the people who care about animals.

MsGrant Nov. 15, 2009 @ 2:19 p.m.

That's awesome, cuddle!! Have you gone to Animal Control to get one of their traps? Works like a charm. So many people have abandoned their pets because of this housing market. My next career is going to be in animal welfare, I can feel it.

CuddleFish Nov. 15, 2009 @ 2:21 p.m.

That would be wonderful, MsG, Lord knows they can use all the help they can get.

antigeekess Nov. 15, 2009 @ 6:59 p.m.

Ms G related: "I do have one bit of news that might cheer you up - the San Diego Humane Society and the North County San Diego Humane Society are merging.

Their reason? Together we can do more. People are starting to get it. Consolidation = power."

YES! That is AWESOME! I'm so glad to hear that. I wish that group after group of the other little animal charities would follow suit. There were so many. Orgs for turtles, bats, house rabbits, assistance dogs, and everything else you could possibly think of. This looks like a pretty good directory of animal charities in SD.

In fact, just glancing at the list, PAWS says they need an accountant. I was always fascinated by this particular place

...but never made it up there for a visit. Sounds like a marvelous facility. For me, it would be especially wonderful to be around horses again, so the therapeutic riding program always interested me.

I hope you 'do' get a job in animal welfare, Grant! Hopefully one that pays the rent!

And I'm ELATED to hear that Clyde is still alive and well! Lying in the sun, chillin' like a furry little villian! Those cagey old rascal boys -- both Sylvester and Clyde probably have a half-dozen different women feeding them. Schuysters.

Kudos to you as well, Cuddles! Got a whole herd, huh? How many head ya got?

CuddleFish Nov. 15, 2009 @ 7:31 p.m.

The Good Lord knows, AG, the lady who lived there was elderly, she and her caretaker provided for them until the lady passed away, then the caretaker took care of them, and now, me. We thought six at one point, then somewhere around ten, now we aren't really sure, the herd seems to be growing ...

And now the house in is the government's hands, so we are trying to see if we can relocate some of them to barns, adopt out the tame ones, etc., before they auction off the property.

antigeekess Nov. 15, 2009 @ 7:32 p.m.

I just had an idea, while reading this "Wish List" at the Helen Woodward Center

...which is a place that's as close to the brick-and-mortar part of my idea as any I've ever seen -- except for the central idea of being an umbrella organization, which is the most important part.

SOMEONE...say, someone with a lot of time on her hands that loves animals, for example...should do a blog exclusively on the San Diego animal charities. A new one every week, with their mission statement, goals, history, activities, wish list, any YouTube vids pertaining to them (which you can usually embed within the blog), website, their contact info, etc.

If I were down there, I'd do it myself. Run around to the facilities, take pictures to go with the blog. Maybe even original video.

Kinda the internet version of what I was thinking of, bringing them all under the "umbrella" of the blog itself. Blog title each week is the name of the organization. Free publicity for them, most likely resulting in new membership and donations. Contacts may be made that never would have occurred otherwise. Big opportunity to change the trajectory of some lives of people, and animals.

In fact, I could see this blog and this blogger becoming a very well-known figure, a voice for these orgs and the animals they support. It would just have to be a consistent weekly column. It might start with an introductory entry that contains a helpful list of links (such as the one above) to all the orgs the writer intends to cover in the coming weeks. Then, just check them off as you conduct visits and interviews. A nicely balanced rotation between very large orgs and very small ones, wild animals and domestic ones would make it more interesting.

Whaddya say? :)

SDaniels Nov. 15, 2009 @ 7:33 p.m.

re:#29: "I have a trap, yes, been setting it for the last two days but keep catching ferals that are already fixed. Kathy, the FCC volunteer, provided me with one of hers. :)"

We did this too, for a while, in the community garden down the street. Managed to get care to several semi-ferals, when we weren't catching baby and momma possums instead--they LOVE that mackerel bait, too. Anyway, what they do is sedate the cats, get them medical care and grooming, and fix them if necessary, then rerelease them. One little white-coated fellow had to finally be put down, due to cancer of the ear. I wish folk with light-furred cats would understand that this is a real problem, and that these guys need to be indoor cats.

Oh, Ms. G, just to get out of the way this whole annoying question of when I sleep (when I can, of course), and why I'm online so much--I'm a semi-invalid right now due to health issues, and online chat is my way of participating, as I haven't been able to get out much with friends and family. My life is pretty much on the phone and the 'puter.

SDaniels Nov. 15, 2009 @ 7:35 p.m.

re: #32: This could become a lucrative endeavor with the build up of sponsorship, no? Why can't that person be you, AG? Fabulous idea!

antigeekess Nov. 15, 2009 @ 7:54 p.m.

Re #34:

Because I'm not THERE, Daniels. There needs to be some footwork involved for interviews, touring sites, pics and possibly video, etc. Needs to be somebody in SD.

If somebody doesn't pick up the ball and run with it, it'll remain on my backburner until the happy day when/if I return.

MsGrant Nov. 16, 2009 @ 6:56 a.m.

I'm sorry, SD. I just could not keep up with you Saturday night!! My husband found me sitting up, fast asleep with a full cocktail on the table and my laptop sliding off.

Anti, I am intrigued by your idea. Give me a little time to reconstruct my head (I am still working until Dec., maybe even a couple of weeks after that if I have some nasty files that haven't closed by then). I need to condition myself to not be in a frenzy all the time and approach life in the present moment. Ugh, that was really new-agey. Oh, well. That may be part of the master plane. Anyway, I approached the Humane Society a couple of years ago about my company sponsoring a pet adoption - good for them, good PR for us. Well, they were less than enthusiastic because apparently there is some approval process you have to go through to even associate yourself with their name. It's not like I work for Larry Flynt's Hustler Club!! I have to look into it further. I have a few connections down there. Maybe I'll do a little digging. You know what? The more I think about this, the more excited I get. My therapist told me she sees me coming up with something that involves animals. Disclaimer: I am not some crazy nut job who needs therapy. Every person should seek therapy if they have the resources and something in their life is out of their control. By resources, I mean even a bus pass to get you to the county medical facility - you don't have to be rich to have sound mental health. In my case, it was my job. I needed a neutral third party who does not know me personally to give me the kick in the ass I needed to not be a slave to someone else's machine. Without feeling like I somehow failed someone or myself.

SDaniels Nov. 16, 2009 @ 7:26 a.m.

"husband found me sitting up, fast asleep with a full cocktail on the table and my laptop sliding off."

Love this. A common scenario around here--minus the cocktail, unfort. What kind of cocktail, btw? :)

"you don't have to be rich to have sound mental health."

So true. I think the most neurotic people I've ever known have had the easiest lifestyles ;)

"My therapist told me she sees me coming up with something that involves animals."

This sounds fabulous--you've got an open mind and heart, which is surely going to lend color to that parachute! (alert: cheesy corporate motivational-speak)

I could see you and AG, two sharp minds, working something out by way of a Web site. If you need advice on the marketing end, I know someone who might oblige. Onward and upward! as they say at my crappy job--but it's a good direction--the only one we can entertain ;)

MsGrant Nov. 16, 2009 @ 7:28 a.m.

Cuddle, how on earth did I miss your blog? I have to stop reading and go to work!! It's really a great thing you are doing, trying to save the feral cats. They really have no one to help them except the very few. It's such a hard thing, because they are wild animals, but they are cats. Promise me you will call your local feral cat association. I don't know where you live, but almost all communities have one. They will help you get the cats rounded up and relocated.

MsGrant Nov. 16, 2009 @ 7:38 a.m.

Sky and soda, with a squeeze. Refreshing and light. SD, you are so right. People who have had everything handed to them their whole lives fall apart the quickest then presented with even the slightest challenge. Not all, but most.

I am somewhat tech challenged, the idea of a website fills me with terror. But hey, that's a challenge even I can master without falling apart!!!

SDaniels Nov. 16, 2009 @ 7:42 a.m.

Mmm, sounds delish.

Re: Saving cats--I assumed Cuddle was in touch with the Feral Cat Coalition--they are the ones to contact about trapping/treating cats.

I suck at such things, but found it pretty easy to learn some basics on a Web site my cousin and I set up. AG has some online savvy, and is a quick study. You can do it!

Have a great day, Ms G ;)

antigeekess Nov. 16, 2009 @ 8:47 a.m.

Hey Grant, look what was on the front page of Yahoo! this morn:

Let me know what your particular SCDH scores. :)

"I need to condition myself to not be in a frenzy all the time and approach life in the present moment. Ugh, that was really new-agey. Oh, well. That may be part of the master plane."

No, THAT was really new-agey. (The typo, I mean.) :)

"Disclaimer..."

Grant, it's California. I'm pretty sure at least a few visits to a shrink are mandatory, just like New York (see Woody Allen). The participants of this site alone could keep every San Diego APA member's schedule completely booked.

;)

MsGrant Nov. 16, 2009 @ 6:10 p.m.

It was a great day, I didn't have to use my A-K.....

How do spell it - agy? What am I missing here? None of them look right and I am too lazy to look it up right now.

In my business, it is not the company that is the problem. I actually have a lot of atonomy from the powers that be at my job. It is the job itself that sucks. Too much stress, too many people trying to get at you all day, not enough time to do the work. I get text messages all the time (which I hate) - "are you working this weekend? Can you go into the office?" Okay, if you cannot get hold of me during the 60 hours a week I am there, I am not going to make a special trip just for your request that is ALWAYS something that could have waited until Monday.

You know, I honestly think you are right about CA being the land of the therapy session. You don't hear about folks from the mid-west running to the doctor every time someone hurts their feelings. They just take it outside....

antigeekess Nov. 16, 2009 @ 6:35 p.m.

"You don't hear about folks from the mid-west running to the doctor every time someone hurts their feelings."

You don't hear about people from the South doing that, either.

"They just take it outside...."

Here, they sue.

MsGrant Nov. 16, 2009 @ 6:51 p.m.

Truer words were never spoken. I encounter that sue-happy individual frequently in my business, and they are the ones for which the following was created: A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

PistolPete Nov. 16, 2009 @ 8:59 p.m.

I'd LOVE for someone to sue me for something stupid. I have the money to make them look foolishly stupid AND I'd counter-sue to get any money back paid to defend myself. :-D Bring it on, douchebags! I've got nothin' but time and $$$....LMAO!

I truly hate what our"justice"system has become. A joke if there ever was one.

MsGrant Nov. 17, 2009 @ 11:50 a.m.

Right on, Pistol-whipper!! When I worked for a division of a HUGE corporation, I would get the folks that would say "I'm going to sue". And my response? "Bring it on. My company has very deep pockets." You cannot be afraid of these rejects.

SDaniels Nov. 17, 2009 @ 7:58 p.m.

I think chronic, unnecessary litigation should be classified as a compulsive disorder, similar to gambling. At the court, these folk end up in constant appeal of multiple orders, often serving as their own legal defense, because they have run out of money bringing all of these actions. If they are obnoxiously pursuing cases, these "pro pers" also end up being labeled "vexatious litigants," a term I savor for obvious reasons ;)

MsGrant Nov. 17, 2009 @ 8:43 p.m.

SD, you nailed it. They have nothing better to do. I knew a woman who sued every company she ever worked for. She asked me to submit her resume to my company to work for our human resources department. I threw it in the trash. It's a sickness, a need to "win" because they always feel as if they have been somehow slighted. Vexatious litigants are vexing, at best.

ANTI - Where do you find this stuff?!? I love that kitty, and she is my new mascot for EVERYTHING!! BRING IT!!!

antigeekess Nov. 17, 2009 @ 9:47 p.m.

That kitty is the Tao, Buddha, and Shiva the destroyer, all wrapped into one.

BWING IT!!!